Author Topic: Henry Hoaen / Owen - death in St Saviour Southwark  (Read 2403 times)

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Hoaen / Owen - death in St Saviour Southwark
« on: Monday 09 March 15 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I have been unsuccessful in looking for a record of the death of Henry Hoaen in St Saviour parish, Southwark between 1871 and 1881.  I am now beginning think his death may have been registered as Henry Owen rather than Hoaen as in the 1871 census Henry, his wife Maria and their son George were recorded as Owen.  There is a death registered for a Henry Owen aged 43 in Jan-Mar 1877 vol 1d page 108 and I wonder if anyone is able to look at the entry in the parish register for St Saviour for this period.  Henry and Maria also had 2 other children, also called Henry and Maria, one of whom may have registered their father's death. I know Henry died before 1881 as in the census for that year Maria is recorded as being a widow.  Thanks for any help.

Offline richard49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Hoaen / Owen - death in St Saviour Southwark
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 April 18 23:51 BST (UK) »

Newbie here
Heh I'm grt great grand daughter of Henry Hoaen n Maria Gaston...their dau . M. Name Maria Ivin my grt grandmother.
Seen your post. Interested how you are connected . Iv DNA on Ancestry. And tree. ?
Regards
June Richardson

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 April 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi June

We were in contact 10 years ago on Genes Reunited.  I dip in and out of family history but don't have an up to date tree any where.

My great grandfather was Henry and Maria's son George, so Henry is my Great Great grandfather too.   I've still not found when Henry died or an 1871 Census for Henry (if he was alive then), Maria and George.  Also would like to find out more about Henry's father Ambrose and grandfather Ambrose if you have any information.

Regards Susan

Offline richard49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
 :D so sorry did not remember ,I left off ancestry for a while on Genes.
Are you on Ancestry?.
I found this have you seen it? Article on Joseph Hoaen..

'On Saturday afternoon, between four and five o'clock, a shocking accident occurred at the factory of Sir John rennie, the celebrated engineer, situate in Holland-street, Blackfriars, by which a man named Joseph Hoaen, about forty years of age, was deprived of life. It appears that the unfortunate man was in the employ of Mr Downs, builder, of Guildford-street, Southwark, and was engaged in some works now in progress at Sir John Rennie's, and whilst in the act of raising a heavy piece of timber to the roof by means of a jack screw, when the screw by some means accidentally slipped, and, losing his hold, he fell backwards from the plank on which he was standing, and was precipitated from the second to the first floor, in his descent striking the back of head against one of the tye-beams with fearful violence. Mr. Downs, who was present, superintending the work, ran to his assistance, and found him apparently lifeless. A surgeon was immediately sent for, who pronounced life to be quite extinct, a concussion of the brian having been the result of the fall. The unfortunate man has left a widow and four young children.'
- Morning Post, 2 October 1843, Page 4
Still searching for Henry H death...very difficult.
June.

Offline condesa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have seen the article.  Very sad.  No compensation in those days.  Also still trying to confirm this "Ambrose" Joseph Hoaen's parents. 
Susan