Author Topic: James Grieve and John Grieve  (Read 5409 times)

Offline Taurinya

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Grieve and John Grieve
« on: Tuesday 10 March 15 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone have the names of the parents of James Grieve, born in Kingsbarns in 1747 who died in Largo in 1847?
Also, I would like info about the death of John Grieve, ploughman, born in 1848 in Largo, who married Margaret Crawford of Falkland and worked on the Darnoe Farmstead (now Balbirnie Estate). They had 2 children, Janet Wallace Grieve (1871) and Philip Drummond Grieve (1872) but John must have died shortly after the birth of their son because his widow went on to marry John Findlater with whom she had 3 children, John (1877), James (1880) and Margaret (1882) after moving to Newcastle.
Thank you.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Grieve and John Grieve
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you tried www.scotlandspeople.gov for a death for John 1 match comes up for a John Grieve 1871-1872 birth year 1848 death place fife

Offline Taurinya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 15:03 GMT (UK) »
That's great, thanks. I had a subscription to scotlandspeople but hadn't managed to find that. I'll check it out.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Might not be the same person but worth a try do you have them on the 1871 census ?

Offline Taurinya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Might not be the same person but worth a try do you have them on the 1871 census ?

No, I've never managed to find them. On the 1881 census his wife (widow?) is in Newcastle with the 2 children, plus her new husband and 2 of their 3 children. As it's the Grieves I'm interested in, it's frustrating!

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 March 15 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Taurinya,
     Found this and wondered if this is your Grieve family.
     John Grieve, born 23rd November,1848 at Largo, Fife. Son of Philip Grieve and Janet Drummond.
     Philip Grieve and Janet Drummond married 12th August,1836 at Largo, Fife.

1841 Census. Lundinmill, Largo.
          Philip Grive  35  Linen HLW. (Linen Hand Loom Weaver)
          Janet Grive  25         
          Allexr.   "      2
          Janet    "     10 months.  (All born Fife)
     (Adult ages on 1841 Census rounded down to nearest 5)

1851 Census. Lundinmill, Largo.
          Philip  Grieve  47  Weaver.
          Janet       "     38  Wife.
          Alexander "    12  Son.
          Janet       "     10  Dau.
          Ann         "       9  Dau. 
          Helen       "       7  Dau.
          Margaret  "       5  Dau.
        *John        "       2  Son.  (All born Largo, Fife)

1861 Census. Largo, Fife.   
          Philip  Grieve  51  Linen Weaver.
          Janet D    "     46  Wife.
          Janet       "     20  Dau.
          Ann         "     19  Dau.
          Margaret  "     14  Dau.
        *John         "     12  Son.
          Philip       "       9  Son.
          David      "       7  Son.
          James     "       5  Son.  (All born Largo)

*John Grieve and Margaret Crawford married 1870 at Falkland, Fife. (ScotlandsPeople) This Marriage Certificate will give both John and Margaret's parent's names including mother's maiden name, if known.
     Janet Wallace Grieve was born 1871 at Cupar, Fife & Philip Drummond Grieve was born 1872 at Kettle Fife. Anc**try have not transcribed the 1871 Census for Cupar. Since Janet was born there in 1871 and I can't find the family elsewhere I checked ScotlandsPeople. Found 1 match for John Grieve, Cupar, Fife, age 22. Still 1 match when I typed Margaret in the Second Person Forename box. Might be worth using credits to check unless some kind person can find them on some of the other free sites.
     Rosie17 has posted a death for a John Grieve in 1871. Is that the one at Strathmiglo, Fife? (Only one I could find) The death notice in the "Fife Herald" Thursday 22 June 1871 reads: "At Strathmiglo on 17th inst., John Grieve, late dresser, Skene Works." Doesn't fit in with a ploughman at Balbirnie! Philip's 1872 Birth Certificate should tell you whether Margaret was a widow or not. That would help to narrow down the time of his death.
     Good Luck with your search.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Taurinya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 March 15 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dod
Many thanks for the trouble you took. Yes, that is my Grieve family and everything corresponds to what I have.
I followed your advice and found John Grieve in Cupar in the 1871 census on ScotlandsPeople. It was worth the credits to see it because it confirmed that he lived there with his wife Margaret, but I also learned that his sister Helen was there, too. Every little detail adds to the picture!
As for the John Grieve who died (1871/1872), I checked that and it was the one you mentioned in Strathmiglo so not the one I’m looking for. It’s just as well because the death was in 1871 and John’s son (my grandfather) was born in December 1872. If John had died in 1871, he wouldn’t have been the father and I would have been living under a false identity (i.e. Grieve) all my life!
Thank you again.
Taurinya

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Taurinya,
     So glad that was your John Grieve on 1871 Cupar Census.
     You probably already have the following information, but as you say, even one tiny bit of new information helps to complete the picture.

1871 Census. View Boy Cottage?, Largo. (Anc**try) (Might be View Bay or Bay View Cottage)
          Philip Grieve  67  Linen Weaver.
          Janet     "      56  Wife.  (Both born Largo)

1881 Census. Largo, Fife.
          Janet Grieve  66  House Keeper.
          David     "     26  Son. Tailor.  (Both born Largo)

Possible birth for Philip. (Anc**try)
          Philip Grieve born/baptized 2nd December,1803 at Largo, Fife.
          Son of Alexander Grieve and Ann Pearson.
     Philip's Death Certificate should confirm/eliminate.

ScotlandsPeople - Deaths: Philip Grieve died 1875 at Largo age 71yrs.
          Janet Grieve, other name Drummond died 1888 at Largo age 73yrs.
          David Grieve died 1881 at Largo age 26yrs.
          Philip Grieve died 1875 at Largo 22yrs.
          Not found a death for John Grieve!

1871 England Census. Aldershot, Hampshire, England.
          Philip Greive (note spelling) 19  Soldier  born Scotland. Private with the 42nd Regiment.
     Philip was not a common name in Scotland in 1871, so there is a chance this is Philip Jnr.
There is also a David Greive age 18 born Scotland listed, but David is a more common name & 1881 Census, Largo has David listed as a Tailor, which would mean an Apprenticeship, so doubtful.
     The 42nd Regiment is the 42nd Royal Highland Regiment of Foot, better known as The Black Watch. Now, The Black Watch, 3rd Battalion, Royal Regiment of Scotland. The Black Watch have their own Regimental Museum at Balhousie Castle, Perth, Scotland, which might be helpful if you want more information about Philip and David.

www.theblackwatch.co.uk

Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Taurinya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 March 15 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dod
That’s fantastic. Thank you for all the information. I did have quite a lot of it already, including Philip Grieve’s DOB, but  there were one or two little gems.
Re “View Boy Cottage”, your hypothesis of Bay View Cottage may well be correct, not only because of Largo Bay but because I have found a Bay View Cottage, Largo, which was inhabited by a different family in 1881. This is quite possible because, from what you told me, Philip died in 1875, and in the 1881 census his widow Janet was living with her son, David, so we can assume she had moved from that cottage. (I wonder what she did when David died later in 1881!)
I was interested in what you said about a potential Philip Jnr, in spite of the spelling of the surname. Unfortunately I can’t access The Black Watch Museum either by clicking on your link, by copying & pasting or by googling it. Just a blank screen. So I’ll have to abandon that for the time being but I’ve made a note of it.
So, again thank you for your help.
Taurinya.