Author Topic: John KENNEDY and Margaret Stewart Perthshire around 1800  (Read 9300 times)

Offline Kenbro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John KENNEDY and Margaret Stewart Perthshire around 1800
« on: Tuesday 10 March 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hello wondered if anyone else was looking for Kennedy's from Perthshire.

I have John Kennedy 1795-1870 married to Margaret Stewart 1803-1886

John's father being James Kennedy 1763 and his mother as Ann Dewar 1760 both Perthshire

Perhaps?? John's father was William Kennedy c 1740 and his mother Margaret Scot c 1740

John Kennedy's (1795) son was Duncan Kennedy 1826-1902 who married Catherine Livingstone (1827-1870)
Their son was Duncan Kennedy 1855-1902 who married Mary Ann Auld (1855-1934)
All from Perthshire.

Thank you very much.

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John KENNEDY and Margaret Stewart Perthshire around 1800
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
If Duncan Kennedy was born in 1855 you are most fortunate, as his birth certificate (from ScotlandsPeople) should give you his precise date of birth, birthplace, date of parents' marriage, details of siblings, father profession etc.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 15 19:56 GMT (UK) »
:) Hello wondered if anyone else was looking for Kennedy's from Perthshire.
Very much so  :)
But unfortunately I can't see any matches in the names you mention  :(

My line was mainly in the parish of Dull, though to get to me, they moved to Lanarkshire, Co. Armagh (for a few years) and then various points in England. Which parish(es) are you looking in?

There's an outline of my ancestry on my website, which you can reach by clicking the house icon below my name on the left of this message. You may also be interested in the Kennedy one name study and DNA project run by Iain Kennedy - see http://www.kennedydna.com/ - but lots more info there than just DNA. His line is from Perthshire too, though it seems to be separate from mine.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kenbro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 15 22:29 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Good evening Arthur, thank you for replying.
I have to confess that my search for my own family name: Kennedy, has caused me the most trouble.

I have looked at your chart and see a John who was Baptised in 1807 with his father David born 11/7/1781. I have John as c 1795 born in Dull and his wife Margaret Stewart born c 1803 in Weem, which is very near Dull. So maybe my John is your John???

This is the info I am certain of:
1. Catherine McIntyre Livingstone Kennedy (my great grandmother)
Born 22/01/1882 in Elie, Fife Died 13/4/1950 in Edinburgh.

The family were not from Fife but she was born there. They seemed to travel around a lot.
Her siblings were:
Duncan 4/10/1878 Born in Roslin
Donald 11/7/1886 Born Crieff
Alexander 17/12/1889 Born Crieff
William Thomas 28/9/1894 born Crieff
Her parents Duncan Kennedy 23/6/1855 (Parish of Moulin) and Mary Ann Auld c 1855 (Rannoch, Fortingall) They married in Edinburgh 26/2/1878.

So they married in Edinburgh and had a first child in Roslin. Then my great grandmother in Fife, then seemed to settle in Crieff for the next 3 children. They lived at Morrison's House  Fowlis Wester in the 1901 census.

(My grandfather, George Livingstone Kennedy, was illegitimate and his father's family were Farmers at Fowlis Wester, The Forrest's)

This next bit I'm not so sure of:
Duncan (1855)
Father Duncan 17/5/1826 Kingussie and Catherine Livingstone 19/11/1827 Crieff.

This then leads on to John from Dull c 1795 or c 1807 and Margaret Stewart 1803 Weem.

Hope this makes sense.
Anne

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 March 15 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps we are not following your line back properly, but our data on Duncan Kennedy born 23 June 1855 in Moulin gives different parents:

Duncan was born at Enochdu, Moulin parish
Father: Hugh (Ewan) Kennedy, master tailor, aged 48y and born at Crossmount, Rannoch
Mother: Margaret Robertson (Rotson) aged 37y and born at Bohespic, Blair Atholl parish.
Duncan was her 8th child, four sisters alive, one brother and two sisters deceased.

Crossmount is just across from Kinloch Rannoch.  Bohespic is an area south of Trinafour and contained several large settlements.  Being on the fringe of things, not all of the families bothered to get their children entered into the OPR.

Is this the wrong family?  If so we won't waste time looking through the Bohespic data-bank.

Throth (www.borenich.co.uk)

Offline Kenbro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 March 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Throch

Thank you very much. This does sound more like it.

My difficulty is that I am working from the notes and information the my mother collected and I have found that I can't verify them. I took this over after my mum died two years ago.
I believe that she worked on the assumption that the "Catherine Livingstone" link seemed likely as both my grandfather and his mother carried the Livingstone name forward.

I have Duncan of Enochdu married to Mary Ann Auld. Her father was Donald or James Auld ?
 c 1829 and her mother was Catherine McIntyre, born c 1837 in Rannoch. Which also gives me the McIntyre from my great grandmothers name.  I then have her parents as  Donald McIntyre born about 1803 in Fortingall married to an Isabella?? born about 1809 in Fortingall.

Thank you so much for taking an interest in this.
Anne

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 March 15 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne

I think Throth has probably set you right, but otherwise I was going to point out that there were quite a few Kennedy families around there, and without strong supporting evidence it would be unwise to assume that John b.1795 was the same as John b.1807.

I also don't seem to have any references to the surname Stewart, or to Weem in my database, so that's another lack of connection between us.

Some of the time my family were in the southern part of Dull parish (valley of the River Tay, near the village and church), but mostly they were in and around Foss, near the northern end of Loch Tummel. Iain Kennedy surmises that the family originated in Lochaber and migrated south-eastwards, with the Loch Rannoch area and Foss being among their early settlements in Perthshire.

Throth - I don't know if you looked at my website, but I'd be interested to know if you spot any possible connections. I'm not aware of mine being in or around Borenich, but I saw that you have a Hugh (Ewan) Kennedy. Hugh is the name of my earliest known Kennedy ancestor, and occurs in some later generations too; I just wondered if the one you have might connect to mine too?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kenbro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 March 15 18:09 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hi Arthur
 :) Hi Throth (sorry I got your name wrong in the last message)

Yes, when searching the Kennedy's I have found many in the same areas and with similar name patterns. But then, we're not easy us Kennedy's are we!

I'll keep looking and concentrate on Throth's suggestion.
Anne

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 March 15 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Afraid the title of this topic is actually incorrect!

Duncan Kennedy was born 31/3/1855 St. Martins (Guildtown) Perth son of Duncan Kennedy and Catherine Livingstone who married 24/8/1849 Crieff.

So far, so good.   However, Duncan senior is shown as bc.1826 Kingussie, Inverness and was indeed a gardener in later life.   He was still alive in 1901 (with 2nd wife) and died 7/11/1902 in the Infirmary, Perth.   Shown as married (1) Catherine Livingstone and (2) Christina Campbell.   I think first wife died in 1870 and that he married Christina in 1879.   More importantly it states his parents as Donald Kennedy, gardener, deceased and Janet Kennedy, nee McDonald (so not the parents listed as your title above at all.

Donald Kennedy married Jannet MacDonald 15/6/1817 Kingussie but can't find an online baptism for their son Duncan.   So, it is this couple that you need to pursue back.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk