Author Topic: Lovie or Picken Genealogy in Elgin  (Read 2613 times)

Offline Grannytoot78

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lovie or Picken Genealogy in Elgin
« on: Wednesday 11 March 15 03:53 GMT (UK) »
  I would like to contact anyone working on Lovie genealogy in the Elgin area.  My ancestor, George Lovie m. Corabieny Picken in 1810 and they lived in London for awhile while he was stationed there.  A couple of children:  James and George were born there and died young and, perhaps, a daughter named Isobel, also.  The family returned to Elgin by about 1830 where two daughters were born and then, in 1834, a last child named Mary or Marie was born in Bishopmill.  Most of the family ended up leaving the area about 1837 where my ancestor, William b. 1815, went to America and his father and some of William's sisters went to Canada where George died in 1838.  Another son, Alexander, b. 1819, stayed in London and then migrated to Australia.  Does anyone know of this family or how I can find the parents of George?  Since his first son was named James, we thought, perhaps his father was also of that name.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks,  Bonny

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lovie or Picken Genealogy in Elgin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 06:02 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you are not aware of it, there is a free site called Libindx which allows you to search for information about people from the Moray area.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you are not aware of it, there is a free site called Libindx which allows you to search for information about people from the Moray area.

It's at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp but I did not find anything about either of them there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Grannytoot78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, so much, for trying to find my ancestors in Moray records.  I would be interested in any Lovie families in that area but, so far, I haven't found anything.  There was a James, a tailor and his wife, Barbara Smith, that could be George's parents.  How do I access records such as wills/probate (or whatever it is called in Scotland...I'm in America) or occupation records.  George's son, William, apparently apprenticed to become a wagon maker in about 1830-36 or so. 

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 23:39 GMT (UK) »
How do I access records such as wills/probate (or whatever it is called in Scotland...I'm in America)

In Scotland it's called Confirmation, not probate, and wills etc are confirmed, not proved.

You can view the index and download digital images of wills at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. You need to register, and then you can look at the indexes to wills for free. If you want to see a will, you need to buy credits. These are in block of 30, and they cost £7 (about $10) for 30. You need 10 credits to download a will, so you get 3 wills for your $10.

Watch out for the terminology. If someone died intestate, or if it talks about a testament dative, it means they did not leave a will, so the record of the confirmation is unlikely to tell you much about the family of the deceased. Testament testamentar means that there is a will, as does testate.

Also, there are often two parts to the confirmation; the will (if one exists) and the inventory. The inventory is simply a list and valuation of what the deceased person owned, and it will not contain any information about relatives. It may, of course, be interesting in its own right, because it will say how many cattle or sheep (s)he owned and how much each was worth, and how much money was left and the value of his or her furniture, sometimes down to the last spoon and blanket.

The Will, or Testament testamentar, or sometimes Trust Deed and/or Settlement, is the record of what the deceased person wished to be done with her or his property and assets after death.

See also a much more detailed description at http://www.nas.gov.uk/guides/wills.asp
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Grannytoot78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 March 15 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, so much, for the will info.  Most of that seems to be about the same as American wills and the estate/probate except for the language.

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 15 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I was searching for my Stewart family from Moray, and came across a document produced by a 'John Lovie'.  It was a large work on quite a few generations and branches of the Stewart family.  I corresponded with John Lovie at times and was able to give him some missing documents to help fill in some gaps on that document, but I haven't been able to get back in contact.  If you are able to track him down, he may have information on the Lovie family you are chasing.  His address on the Stewart document was 'Kintore'.  Good luck
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline FamHistOz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 June 22 05:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am also tracing this elusive family and am one of the descendants of Alexander Lovie. Alexander joined the army and served in the Scots guards like his father and apparently his grandfather did.  Unfortunately I have had little luck discovering the names of George's parents.  Would love to hear from anyone who has any additional information,

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 June 22 13:02 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat;

Possibles on FreeREG;

George LOVIE bapt 6 Sep 1777 Parish Church, Gamrie, Banffshire
Parents  JAMES/ELSPET, Mother nee WATT

George LIVIE 15 Jul 1786 Parish Church, Arbroath, Angus (Forfarshire)    
Parents ALEXANDER/MARY nee NAUGHTIE
(Father a Carter, 1 sibling William 1788)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)