Author Topic: Griffiths  (Read 2067 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Griffiths
« on: Wednesday 11 March 15 11:13 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 Census shows an Edward Griffiths living with his wife Mary and their four sons,Richard(1840),John (1842),Edward(1846) and Lewis(1849) in Gwyddelwern Merionethshire.As my main focus of interest is with the line from John(1842),the first query I have is finding the births in the GRO Index for Richard and John.
HO/2509/168/10.

I believe the marriage for Edward and Mary is the one given on North Wales BMD,taking place at Ysbyty Ifan,St John the Baptist Denbighshire in 1837 between an Edward Griffiths and a Mary Jones.Family Search gives the marriage taking place on the 11th of November 1837.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure about Richard,but a candidate for John could be Corwen Sept.Qtr 1840 Vol 27 Page 133,Corwen being the registration district for Gwyddelwern.

Regards
Roger

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roger,whilst of course the Birth you gave is a possible,I am working on the assumption that this John is the one given as dying in 1873 in the Corwen District and given as born c 1842.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Previous record probably wrong.The baptism records show the surname Griffith in Yspytty Ifan with both Denbighshire and Caernarvonshire records.Although it is not the defined registration district for Yspytty the only record that matches Richard is Caernarvon June Qtr 1840 Vol 27 Page 335.
John's baptism is March 1842.There are two possible Caernarvon records

Mar qtr Vol 27 Page 342
Jun qtr Vol 27 Page 313

Regards
Roger

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roger,I believe the John Griffiths in 1871 in Gwyddelwern Merionethshire living with his Mother Mary and his wife Mary and sons John(1867),Edward(1870) and Richard given as eight months old.
RG10/5680/129/14.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire