Author Topic: Edward/Thomas McKenzie  (Read 2455 times)

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Edward/Thomas McKenzie
« on: Wednesday 11 March 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to ascertain what part of Ireland my ancestors came from. The appear in census records in Stirling, Scotland from 1851 (census record taken Apr) I am also trying to find wedding records etc for them and realise that not all records are available (tho my understanding is that church records are due to be released in the summer ) On the 1851 Scottish census it shows that Thomas and Catherine McKenzie had four children who had been born in Ireland, Mary 1842, Edward 1846, Anne 1848 (my 2 x Great Grandmother) John 1850 ............... but I have not been able to find either their marriage or births/baptisms of any of the children ...... I have tried the Scottish 1911 census to see if any show what part of Ireland they are from with no success.  I have no proof that they are from Co. Mayo but have found this record and wondered if it could connect to them. What exactly is an Extract of Census record - it mentions Waddell Street, SS Glasgow as the address ?? Waddell Street was an area of Glasgow that housed a lot of immigrants .....
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia
Howell - Llannon/Llwynypia/Cardiff/Pennsylvania,USA
Ungoeds - Llannon,Carmarthenshire/Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward/Thomas McKenzie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 12:27 GMT (UK) »
This is the paperwork from an Old Age Pension Claim. In 1921 (date at top of page) Edward McKenzie (care of Thomas McKenzie of the Glasgow address) made an application stating that his parents were Thomas & Catherine McKenzie and were probably living at the address in Co. Mayo given at the time of the 1851 census- but if not found there somewhere in the vacinity.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 13:16 GMT (UK) »
so the address in Scotland - whos address is that ??? Census records in UK were April - do you know when census records in Ireland were done ??
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 14:42 GMT (UK) »
U.K. census dates were on a Sunday (working on the theory that more people would be at home that night) in April, May or June depending on the year. In 1851 it was 30 March. http://www.dun.org.uk/CENSUS/Census.htm

The Glasgow address is for Thomas McKenzie (the contact for Edward the applicant). The Mayo address was where Edward said his family was probably living in 1851.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eac61

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 15:33 GMT (UK) »
if this is the case I dont think this is my Thomas  :-[ Edward was born abt 1845 and his Father Thomas about 1818 - by 1851 census they appear on the Scottish census so unless they are taken at different times of the year in Ireland. There is only one Edward McKenzie on the 1911 census and this says he was born in Scotland  :-[ so appear to have hit another brick wall
Powell - Ton Pentre
Phillips - Llwynypia