Author Topic: trying to validate a family story  (Read 5171 times)

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
trying to validate a family story
« on: Wednesday 11 March 15 15:13 GMT (UK) »
There is a family story that my Gggrandfather Patrick Roche 1812-1888 was evicted from his home in Killeigh/Killeagh Ballyvaldon Parish.
 I have found births for 2 sons in Blackwater Patrick 1844 (my ggf) and John 1847. I know there was a James born c1852 but not sure where and I found the last one I know about Francis born 1855 in Ballybrega, Castleellis, in the oulart Parish register. Patrick is also on Griffiths Valuation for Ballybrega http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=49&Submit.y=9&familyname=roche&firstname=Patrick&baronyname=&countyname=WEXFORD&unionname=&parishname=CASTLEELLIS
I can't find him on the Tithes just a John and a widow in neighbouring townland.

My Aunt did lots of research in the 80's She is unable to tell me why she wrote the following..
" Roches evicted from Killeigh. Shooting before they moved into Ballybrega. Husband shot, wife and child ok. She went back to sister. They were land grabbers. Man that shot him was from Kilmuckridge was not convicted as he walked there in barefoot, therefore his boots were dry under his bed when police called at his house. Says he was not out - not charged"

I have a vague memory of my late father telling me someone was shot in Ballybrega and one of my 2nd cousins also heard family stories of a shooting but is equally vague about who and where?

Anyway I have searched in vain on FindMyPast newspaper archives to try and find something about this no luck but it could be me as I couldn't even find the very well known Coolgreany evictions either!!

Any and all help much needed and really appreciated

Thanks
M
Roche Wexford/USA
Sinnott 2 families Ardcavan Wexford/USA and Boolaboy.
Cullen Ballyknockan  Wexford/ USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: trying to validate a family story
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 15 20:52 GMT (UK) »
In my family we had a similar tradition, that my great-great-grandfather James Doyle was evicted from Clonee Upper ca 1864 or so.  I never once doubted the "story", as it was evident that they lost the farm, and had to move elsewhere. Isn't the same true for your family?

For the record, I thought of looking in the local Wexford newspapers, and may do so, but it would be an an enormous effort for little return  - I don't believe the local newspapers are indexed, so would have to read through every issue for years! However, I did verify the family tradition in another way. Back in 1998 or so I visited the site of the farm from which my great-great-grandparents were evicted. The adjacent farm was still owned by the direct descendants of their neighbours back in the 1860s. The O'Leary's  were very hospitable, in the traditional Irish rural way, and gave my father and myself tea and cake. They confirmed the eviction on what had been the Doyle farm, and told us the same story of the eviction itself as was handed down in my family! I thought that was astounding - remember,  it was not their family, and we were talking of the events of nigh on 140 years earlier - but they had the exact same story!
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 March 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
You have to realise that in the country Irish farmers usually know all about their own property and those of their neighbours. My father-in-law (born before WWI) was able to tell me stories about my great-grandfather's family who lived 2 miles away (and the last of then left in 1910 before he was born)!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 March 15 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Wexflyer, you are probably right not much return even if I do find anything but I know very little about the family before they moved and I hoped if I found an article it might provide some information.
Thanks for your thoughts, I am not sure where the 1st farm was exactly to ask the neighbours, maybe my cousin knows. Yes, I agree looking at the newspapers in the library would be too tedious which is why I was searching on FindMyPast. I was hoping that someone would know of a book or have a book or perhaps advice on searching the newspapers online.
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
Hello
Had a good look through old newspapers.  Plenty of articles on Coolgreany evictions but none mentioning Roche.  Would the shooting be the murder of John Kinsella, an evicted farmer?  A monument was erected to him in Kilninor Churchyard.  I downloaded some articles so pm me if you would like a copy.
Ebch
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello
Had a good look through old newspapers.  Plenty of articles on Coolgreany evictions but none mentioning Roche.  Would the shooting be the murder of John Kinsella, an evicted farmer?  A monument was erected to him in Kilninor Churchyard.  I downloaded some articles so pm me if you would like a copy.
Ebch

Hi Ebch,
Thanks for looking. Where do you look through newspapers, as I said I am useless at searching on Find my past I couldn't even find info on Coolgreany and I knew there must be lots of it!
Anyways, as I said my Roches were in Killeigh, Blackwater and moved to Ballybrega following eviction (between 1847- 1852). The shooting according to family story was in Ballybrega, Castle Talbot. I do have relatives Mordaunts from much nearer to Coolgraeany who were also evicted but I don't think there was any shooting just a lot of bad feeling towards new tenants for many, many years. Kilninor is a long way from us so most likely nothing to do with my crowd but I'll have a read out of curiosity. I'll pm you.
Thanks again,
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 15 05:57 BST (UK) »
In a Wexford newspaper I can see a number of townlands in the Barony of Ballaghkeen up for sale in late 1844, including Killeigh, the townland is described as the property of Lord Ravensworth, if that sale went ahead, perhaps it triggered change.

I'm also wondering if the Ballybrega shooting was based on an event that predated the Roche's arrival there, there was a renowned murder there on 5 November 1841 of a Joseph Bolton who was shot through the window sitting at his fireside.  Key to the case was that he was a land agent and much of the line of inquiry picked up on that accordingly, eg. one of the suspects (acquitted) was a tenant with whom there was a rent dispute. There was extensive coverage in newspapers and it was definitely something that would have passed into local family lore for decades thereafter.

Offline atmartinas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 June 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
Gaffy thanks very much for that. Indeed you could be right, the family story was that the shooting involved the Roches and in the front yard but stories often get a life of their own over the years and I really have no information about it that I can validate. I had hoped that if I found information about the shooting it might have some info about why they moved there. I will look for info on that Joseph Bolton shooting out of interest. Perhaps if I mention the name to my Aunt it might ring some bells, she can be very good with information on the past if I ask the right question.

Thanks again,
M
Roche Wexford/USA
O'Leary Wexford
Leacy Wexford /New York
O'Dwyer Tipperary
Hayes Tipperary
Wall Tipperary
Cormac Tipperary
Shanahan Tipperary