Author Topic: Famine Years  (Read 2486 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Famine Years
« on: Wednesday 11 March 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Another query - does anyone know how well recorded parish B/M/D's were during the famine years?

Thanks
CD

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Famine Years
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 17:17 GMT (UK) »
It really depends on the individual church- whether the clergyman kept accurate records, whether the records were looked after and survive. The Famine was not that bad here in comparison to other parts of Ireland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply - I just wasn't sure if I should be taking this into consideration when not finding records.

CD

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 18:39 GMT (UK) »
The way to go about it, once you know the family's religion and where they lived, is to find what churches are in the area and then see how far back those records go and what years are covered (many do have gaps).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
Yes, I know these facts. So, for example I am getting a lot of my information from RootsIreland.ie would they have everything that was available or is there information on microfiche held at PRONI as an example that would cover other years? RootsIreland have RC Parish records for Draperstown which cover 1836 & 1846-1900 for Baptisms.  I can see there is a gap from 1836-1846. For records after 1900 are they not digitised?  For Maghera ( the other church I am looking at) they have Baptisms 1841-1900 so no gaps.

Would you have any suggestions of resources to find out information for 'gap' years?  I have been looking at Civil B/M/D where possible, church records, GV, Tithe books, Revision books, 1831 census. Many of my family either died or left Ireland prior to 1901 - so  the 1901 & 1911 aren't really an option to me.

Many thanks
CD