Author Topic: What was sand supplied for in eighteenth century?  (Read 8921 times)

Online youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What was sand supplied for in eighteenth century?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 March 15 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Would the sea sand be used in the salt grit bins dotted around neighbourhoods in frost and snow prone areas.  I don't really know much about those except for seeing them in the UK when touring!
We don't have them in the area of NZ where I live, but they may use them  in the colder regions!

Jeanne :)
1731 ? Not many cars on the roads then, if you could find a recognizable road. ::) ;D
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 March 15 08:09 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering about this occupational interest and what it would have been used for:

Henry Johns, Hamoaze Dock. His late father, Henry Johns, was contracted with Edward Hutchins to supply fresh and salt water sand. Asks to be allowed to complete the contract in his own name and with Mr Hutchins.

Record from 15 June 1731 at The National Archives, Kew:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13411434

Any thoughts

As your link leads back to Admiralty Records, perhaps you could consider making email enquiry re sand needs of the Admiralty in the 1730s 

http://www.rmg.co.uk/researchers/library/research-guides/the-royal-navy/research-guide-b6-the-royal-navy-administrative-records

Have made a general enquiry to the RMG.  Did enquire about getting a quote from the National Archives for the record I found, but got a complicated reply - not a straightforward procedure for that one.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 March 15 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Whoopsy!  Red Face!
 😊
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 March 15 08:47 GMT (UK) »
I imagine that huge amounts of sand back then were used as huge amounts of sand are today in terms of building.

There are lots of old (1700s - 1800s) newspaper references relating to the trade in fresh water sand, from my quick glance, most in the context of a building material (though a few indicating horticultural use). Hence lots and lots of advertisements from people wanting or offering for sale fresh water sand and other associated building materials (eg. gravel, stone, lime, etc.).

An article from 1843 makes reference to the "pernicious effects of brine sand on buildings", citing this as the reason why builders should take care to use fresh water sand. Several other articles corroborate this, a 1745 article makes reference to a salt water sand and lime mortar mixture not withstanding frost.

By contrast, references to salt water sand are much fewer, there's an early 1800s indication that it and lime were used to manure and there are mid 1800s articles to corroborate its use as ship ballast (and indeed, setting out the dangers of same).

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 March 15 04:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your interesting research Gaffy :).  I do appreciate it and all responses. If I get anything back from Royal Museums Greenwich shall post too.
Kind Regards
Nova67
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Heard back from the lovely library staff at RMG:

The record reference ADM 106/281-1299 concern records of dockyards and other Naval Yards.

(Assumes) "that fresh and saltwater sand supplied by contractors to the Admiralty was necessary for industrial processes conducted in the various Naval Dockyards – such as for the construction of the docks – as well as to create ‘ballasts’ (the ‘additional weight carried in a ship to give her stability’ – see p. 55 of the ‘The Oxford Companion to ships and the sea)".

Some references to Docklands books and a suggestion to visit the Caird library, or hire an independent researcher.

I may also get lucky as their is a joint volunteer project on to catalogue letters:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1815

Nova67 (in Oz)

But 3636 volume(s)!!! I note.