Author Topic: Unconsecrated burials  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Lisa Skeels

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unconsecrated burials
« on: Thursday 12 March 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello

My great uncle apparently committed suicide in 1930 following an accident on a motorcycle in which someone was killed.  Because this is something rarely spoken about the details are not clear but it would seem that he hanged himself using his own horse harness and the story goes that he was buried near a crossroads somewhere near North Pickenham.  Can anyone shed any light on where these burials in rural Norfolk would have taken place or suggest where I might look; for instance, would it be worth asking at the County Council or even the local church?

Thank you for your help with this one.
Johnson, Bly (Bligh, Blyth), Blowers, Rallison
Elliott, Dawson
Denny, Barley, Skeels, Gray
Mostly Norfolk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Unconsecrated burials
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 March 15 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Although suicides, convicts etc used to buried in unusual places in times gone by, i doubt this would have been the case in the 1930's

Bear in mind that the majority of local cemeteries were "unconsecrated ground" - so i would certainly start there in your search for his grave. And nowadays churches are less strict about who can / cannot be buried in their consecrated graveyards.

Have you checked local newspapers of the time for reports of his death / funeral?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Lisa Skeels

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 March 15 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marmalady, I have checked but can find no further information in newspapers.  I might check with the local church to see if they have any information.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Lisa
Johnson, Bly (Bligh, Blyth), Blowers, Rallison
Elliott, Dawson
Denny, Barley, Skeels, Gray
Mostly Norfolk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 March 15 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Try the municipal cemetery, but maybe off to the side somewhere, rather than neatly following along a row.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 15 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Try the municipal cemetery, but maybe off to the side somewhere, rather than neatly following along a row.
Yes.  I went to the funeral of a guy who could suffer his cancer no more, and he was buried without ceremony in a back corner of the local cemetery.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)