Author Topic: River Clyde Day Constable - help needed to search records  (Read 1847 times)

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
River Clyde Day Constable - help needed to search records
« on: Thursday 12 March 15 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Our 2 x great grandfather George Steven, born Bower, Caithness, 1835 was a River Clyde Day Constable with the Clyde Port Authority, Glasgow from 1861 until the Clyde Police came under the authority of Glasgow Police, around 1866. He then served as  a police constable ( as per 1871 Scotland census and  the births of four children from 1866 -1874 in Kingston, Glasgow).  Mitchell Library archivists  state there is no  record of him in the Glasgow police archives. Search of the Glasgow Police Resignation Book  there  also provided zero information.

By chance I found 3 newspaper articles regarding George Steven Glasgow Herald Oct 25, 28, Nov18 1871 - regarding charges that he violated the 1862 police act while arresting 2 people for disorderly conduct on the Clyde Ferry. He was exonerated and police captain McCall testified he had an unblemished 10 year record with the force.

Any ideas on where to search from here?

DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
FALLEN, /Dunbartonshire & Partick /Cherry/Main/Gallacher
SCOTT of Gladsmuir/Pencaitland East Lothian
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian
McKENZIE of Glenisla, Forfarshire/Farquharson/Robertson/Jack/McNicol/Tosh

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: River Clyde Day Constable - help needed to search records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, the only surviving service records are those held by the City Archives at the Mitchell.

You could try to see if any court records survived (although I doubt it) but it is unlikely that they would give much more than you already have.

Another source could be the Police Museum but in all likliehood they would direct you to the Mitchell
http://www.policemuseum.org.uk/

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 15 21:13 GMT (UK) »
On a visit to Scotland in 2013 I visited the Police Museum, now at Bell Street, Merchant City, which gave me a greater insight to the evolution of police and civic order in Glasgow. The curator there, Alastair Dinmont, has been very helpful. He explained how the occupation for George Steven changed from "River Clyde Day Constable" to "Police Constable" on the birth records of his children. 1861- 1874 after the Clyde Police, (established by the Clyde Navigation Trust in 1858), became the "Marine Division" of the Glasgow Police after 1866.   

For anyone with ancestors in the Glasgow Police or interested in civic order in Glasgow, this museum is a wee gem!

DUFFUS of Edinburgh, Scotland/Murray/Coulter/Anderson/Cauvin/McGillivray/Carstairs
STEVEN of  Caithness, Edinburgh, Scotland/Campbell/Calder/McManus/Waugh/Hoy/Cadzian

Offline AncesStory

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
Archivists at The Mitchell Library  very  kindly checked Glasgow City Archives for information about my 3 x GG George Steven, Clyde Police, but there is nothing available about him in  the name indexes of the surviving police personnel registers dating from 1825. Unfortunately there are gaps in the series around the 1860 period, when George began his service, and he died in 1875, 9 years before Resignations Books were introduced, in 1884. As all the surviving Glasgow police records are at The Mitchell, I think my search ends there, sad to say.