Author Topic: CPRDB - Great Budworth now loaded  (Read 14792 times)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CPRDB - Great Budworth now loaded
« on: Friday 13 March 15 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Please note that the parish record transcription for Great Budworth St Mary & All Saints, one of the largest ancient parishes of Cheshire, was added to the Cheshire Parish Register Project database yesterday and is searchable here:

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

I am personally delighted as this is the one I have been waiting for - weekend plans are now out of the window! :)

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline jeanc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: CPRDB - Great Budworth now loaded
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Please note that the parish record transcription for Great Budworth St Mary & All Saints, one of the largest ancient parishes of Cheshire, was added to the Cheshire Parish Register Project database yesterday and is searchable here:

http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

I am personally delighted as this is the one I have been waiting for - weekend plans are now out of the window! :)

Jean

Thank you Jean,

Will be having fun going through this.

Another Jean

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 15 16:50 BST (UK) »
I'd looked at some other Cheshire records on that site before, but gave up trying to find what I wanted, as I seemed to go round in circles.
As someone had jogged my memory about some person with Great Budworth connections, that I'd researched before, I went back today, having seen your note, with renewed hope.
But I seem still to be going round in circles with these records - I'd hoped to find the name of the father of a groom in a marriage, even though I suspected that an 1828 wedding would be too soon to have that record, but despite trying to read and follow the system carefully, no better.
I can get a record - as a sort of table - but can't seem to get further with it. Need "Records for Dummies", I suspect. The fault'll be mine, not the system.
I feel sure if only I could sort myself out, I'd probably find some interesting information in there!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 June 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi ThrelfallYorky,

If you want to post what you are looking for I will try and help.

When you get the table the third column in the table is titled "Full".  If you click on the circle and then on the box below which has 3 dots you will get the full record information.  The date format is confusing, an example is 7950108 which is the 8th of January 1795.

However, the father of the groom is not given as a matter of course on records prior to civil registration in 1837 although the witnesses may be useful.  Also, if the marriage is by licence there may be some useful information on the licence itself.

Hope this helps,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 June 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
I'd looked at some other Cheshire records on that site before, but gave up trying to find what I wanted, as I seemed to go round in circles.

Glad I am not the only one who found the site extremely confusing!

I had a look a while ago when trying to find family who lived on the Derbyshire / Staffordshire / Cheshire borders so was unsure if my lack of success was due to a lack of relevant records or because i couldn't work the site properly!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 16 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if someone can give a brief outline of how this database can be easily read?

It suggests printing off the instructions but I don't have a working printer and it's very difficult to go back and forwards using 2 open screens.

Any help much appreciated in simple terms please,  I've never seen such a hard to use site, I'm sure there must be a logical reason for that!!   ::)
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 April 16 16:27 BST (UK) »
The database was designed back in the days when computer storage was very expensive.
So parishes were given codes rather than full names, and dates had the leading "1" stripped off. "New style" dates are used for events before 1754, just so there was no need for an extra marker.
The quality of the transcriptions is pretty good, but there is no way to show exactly the wording in the original registers.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 April 16 16:29 BST (UK) »
The database was designed back in the days when computer storage was very expensive.
So parishes were given codes rather than full names, and dates had the leading "1" stripped off. "New style" dates are used for events before 1754, just so there was no need for an extra marker.
The quality of the transcriptions is pretty good, but there is no way to show exactly the wording in the original registers.

Thank you for that Andrew.  Do you know if it's complete yet?  I really can't get my head around it and am looking for a baptism that doesn't appear to be on the Cheshire registers on FindMyPast.......I did try this again over the weekend but....... :-\
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 April 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
You can only search a surname. You cannot search a date.
Page 1 is always the earliest so if it is much later  just try other pages till you hit the right years .
 The date is the difficult part, but JDGen has got the right explanation.
Who are you looking for ?
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)