Author Topic: My families of interest  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
My families of interest
« on: Friday 13 March 15 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I hope it is OK to post a list of the families I am researching - been working on these for about 20 years now. I am from Wexford myself, so I have the advantage of local knowledge.  At the same time, I now live abroad, so I have the frustration of not having first-hand access to primary sources, such as parish registers....
Note - Double listing of same surname means separate lines of same name.
Note - ALL of the following families are from Co. Wexford.

Brennan - Davidstown (Glynn), and Taghmon. Believed to be relatives of Brennans of Forest.
Brennan - Ballybrennan (Bree)
Culleton - Forth Commons, Murntown
Cooper - St. Helens
Crean(e) - Raheenaskeagh, Kilnamanagh and Ballywalterbeg. Chicago, Illinois.
Doyle - Clonee Upper, Tombrack, Clonjordan
Fox - Knockbrandon
Furlong - Moortown (Tomhaggard/Kilmore)
Hayes - Walsheslough (Rosslare), and John St. Wexford
Potts - Bennettstown
Redmond - Perhaps Gerry? Ballygarrett Parish
Roche - Wexford Town, Well Lane
Roche - Ardcolm district?
Rochford (Rashford) - Ballysampson, Ballyhit (Ballyshite)
Sheridan - Moneydurtlow
Smyth (Smith) - Kyle (Oulart), Gerry (Parkannesley), Bruce.
Walsh - Kilrane district, and Wexford Town

I have also traced descendants of these families with other surnames. '

Would love to hear from anyone with an interest in these families.
Regards,
 Wexflyer
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My families of interest
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 March 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Probably a good idea to add your interests to the Surname Interest Table if you have not already done so.
Suggest you also consider whether you want to put some of them into the footer on your posts.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 15 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Probably a good idea to add your interests to the Surname Interest Table if you have not already done so.
Suggest you also consider whether you want to put some of them into the footer on your posts.

Excellent suggestion, thank you.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Mgtwex

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 October 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi with reference to your post families of interest my great grandfather was a Culleton from forth commons.I was wondering what Culleton family you were looking for

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 October 15 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi with reference to your post families of interest my great grandfather was a Culleton from forth commons.I was wondering what Culleton family you were looking for

Great to hear from you!
I descend from Martin Culleton (born ca 1803, died 1865), and his wife, Margaret Morris, via their daughter Mary Culleton (1828-1913). They lived right at the top of the Forth Mountain ("Three Rocks"), where they held 1.5 acres of common land (see listing of "Martin Colleton" in Griffith's Valuation, 1853).
Mary Culleton married George Hayes of Walsheslough (Rosslare Strand) in Wexford in 1852, and lived in John St., Wexford, until her death in 1913. She was my maternal grandfather's maternal grandmother - my grandfather knew her. Martin and his wife Margaret had several other children, in addition to Mary - if you are descended or related to any of these that would be wonderful.

Offline 22SIMON90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
HI my ancestors were Welshes from Rosslare ( Sloblands, Walsheslough, Burrow). My dad's Gt Grandfather was Richard Walsh from Burrow  m. Kitty Wickham from Woodtown. Do you have any information on the Walshe Walshe family in that area? I'd like to find out who Richard's parents were if I can. Kitty parents were  John Thomas Wickham and Catherine Bolger. All the Wickham and Walsh men seem to have been on the lifeboat and involved in some hairy rescue missions.

Claire ;)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 May 17 04:05 BST (UK) »
HI my ancestors were Welshes from Rosslare ( Sloblands, Walsheslough, Burrow). My dad's Gt Grandfather was Richard Walsh from Burrow  m. Kitty Wickham from Woodtown. Do you have any information on the Walshe Walshe family in that area? I'd like to find out who Richard's parents were if I can. Kitty parents were  John Thomas Wickham and Catherine Bolger. All the Wickham and Walsh men seem to have been on the lifeboat and involved in some hairy rescue missions.

Claire ;)

Hi Claire,
Great to hear from you! I certainly remember the names of Richard Walsh and his wife Kitty Wickham from when I went through the Tagoat parish registers, about 19 years ago now. Can you remind me of their dates? I am aware that both your families were very prominent in the Rosslare Fort and then Rosslare Harbor lifeboats - they appear in many published accounts. Have you gone through the Tagoat registers? The only earlier documentation I am familiar with is the tythe valuation for the parish of Rosslare.

I don't think your Walshes and mine are related, though I can't be certain. If you or your family take an Ancestry DNA test then we might well figure that out!  I descend from Martin Walsh (1820s-1898) and his wife Katherine Cooper. She was from St. Helen's, and they lived in the Kilrane area.  Their son James (1855-1940), my great-grandfather, helped build the original (1880s) Rosslare Harbor as a diver.