Author Topic: William McGee of Fermanagh County and Emigration Process  (Read 4706 times)

Offline hv2drive

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William McGee of Fermanagh County and Emigration Process
« on: Saturday 14 March 15 01:47 GMT (UK) »
I have a general question about the emigration process that I hope someone can answer. Once a family knew they leaving Ireland for Canada or the USA, what was the process? If they were poor tenant farmers or living in a poor house would there have been a "paper trail" and what would that have been? I have been told that sometimes the port of departure depended on the next available ship, not always the closest one to where they resided! My search of ship passenger lists has not yielded any clues. I have been doing family research for some time and any reference to where my McGee ancestors lived in Ireland usually indicates Fermanagh County as the county of residence prior to emigration between 1842-45, most likely thru Canada. I have never been able to pin down exactly where they were living in Fermanagh county. Some info even indicates Cavan, the bordering county, as possible birthplace for some of the children. Wife is Mary McClune, daughters are Ann, (Mary) Ellen, Catherine, Alice, sons are Owen and William. Another name that pops up is Cormack or Cormick. Never really sure if he was a son or a brother based on his date of birth. Tithe Applotment Books 1823-37 do not show any William MCGee in Fermanagh, Cavan, Armagh or Monaghan county. However, Donegal county has a Cormick and several William McGees! By the way, there is a Magee family in Fermanagh but I don't have any indication that my family ever spelled their name that way. I guess one of my biggest frustrations is that I can't find that "link" that shows me I am looking in the right place! Based on this new information, I think I should be searching in Donegal but don't want to start of on another wild goose chase. Any help from any members is appreciated!  THANKS!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William McGee of Fermanagh County and Emigration Process
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 08:23 GMT (UK) »
First of all, don't worry about spelling- our ancestors certainly didn't! McHee, Magee, McGhee, etc. are all the same surname.

When would the members of this family have been born and what religion were they? Have you traced all the children to see if there are any further clues as to when they (in America?) and where they were born? What about contacting descendants of each branch in case they have documents or stories passed down to them?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 15 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   As far as I can determine McClune is a name which was rare in Fermanagh. It was much more prevalent in Co. Down with a few in Co.Antrim.   See http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseaction=Go.&UserID=

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline hv2drive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 March 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. I did not have a clue about the McClune name so I will check the link you provided. As far as the children, they were all born in Ireland (roughly 1820-1835) so the whole family emigrated together to the best of my knowledge. Parents died in Canada and the majority of them ended up in Illinois along the border with Wisconsin before some moved on to Iowa. The family was Roman Catholic. I have been able to gain a lot of valuable info on the children but that is not my present focus.

Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 March 15 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at this topic on tracing Irish ancestors-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498742.0

I suggested tracing the children to look for clues to their Irish origins and living descendants that might have information about where the family came from in Ireland. Canadian and American certificates hold much more detail that Irish ones. Most U.S. states ask for name of parents, their birthplaces, etc. on birth, marriage and death certificates.

Offline hv2drive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 March 15 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to aghadowey for your helpful posts....I plan to be in Dublin in early June....I want to visit National Archives and National Library but feel I need more information about the family whereabouts first. Otherwise I will be fumbling and bumbling my way around the building with no results and much frustration! Other than the Fermanagh county reference in obituaries of original the original emigrant family members, no one seems to know anything else.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 March 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Some of the resources you might want to look at here will probably be in PRONI, Belfast but you really need a more exact location before you can start to look at church, land and other early records.

Offline hv2drive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 March 15 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I am working hard to determine a townland or other physical location. Do you think PRONI is a better option for information than the Dublin archives and library? I will be traveling to Belfast also...

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 March 15 18:48 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eyh/  Not much help..but all RC McClunes in Ireland 1901 Census.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.