Author Topic: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer  (Read 24479 times)

Offline Ellen2812

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: List of all Battle of Waterloo men - free lookup offer
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,
Just came across your kind offer to look for men who served at Waterloo.  Would you be kind enough to see if you have the following -
Corporal John SHAW was a Life Guardsman of Cossall.  He was a famous bare knuckle fighter and fell at Waterloo.  I think he was born 1790ish in Nottinghamshire.
I also have a Samuel GEORGE who enlisted in the 2nd Foot (Coldstream) Regiment of Foot Guards
in 1813 at the age of 18.  The Regiment in London have no trace of him but I discovered him listed in the Accounts as being at Waterloo in 1817/1818 and a W next to his name on the Muster Lists.
Were the Coldstream Guards there after the battle? I would be pleased to know if you have any information about him.
Many thanks.
Ellen

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen

The 2nd Battalion 2nd Regiment of Foot Guards, or 2nd Bn Coldstreams were at Waterloo and did stay in France as part of the army of occupation. One source says they arrived back in England in February 1816. A second says November 1818.

You would normally expect a 'Waterloo man' to be recorded correctly, as they received (originally) a half penny a day pension. This was later changed to two years added pensionable service. And paymasters who looked after the muster books kept accurate records.

Ancestry's medal roll have not indexed him. But if you want to go through all the pages they start here - http://tinyurl.com/nr9c7t3

There is a Thomas George listed.

Ken

Offline Ellen2812

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 May 15 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the info on Samuel GEORGE.  Did you not find anything on Corporal John SHAW?  I'm afraid I have no other information on him except what I gave you.

Ellen

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 June 15 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your help researching the Waterloo veterans who died in New Zealand.

Can I ask if you have any information regarding a soldier of the 23rd Regiment, one John LEWIS?

His Waterloo Medal is currently held by the Taranaki Museum, New Zealand but no biographical information about the recipient has been found so far.
http://vernon.npdc.govt.nz/search.do?view=detail&page=1&id=288592&db=object

Regards,

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline forgetmenot14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 June 15 10:00 BST (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]Hi Martin,
Thankyou for the most generous offer, Just wondering if you could do a look up for the name Dannatt from Lincolnshire. I don't actually know if there was a Dannatt's in that war but it would be very interesting to see if there was.
Thanks in advance
Forgemenot

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 June 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, wondered if you could check out Samuel Foord (interchangeable with Ford) for me please.

Born 1789 in Ringmer, Sussex to John & Elizabeth Foord he died Ringmer 1850. He had children born 1812, 1814 & 1816 Ringmer so I think unlikely however someone with a private tree on Ancestry has this same character and attached to him a picture of a Waterloo Medal with the annotation 'given to all men who served at Waterloo' which implies that he was there.

Regards, Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 June 15 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your help researching the Waterloo veterans who died in New Zealand.

Can I ask if you have any information regarding a soldier of the 23rd Regiment, one John LEWIS?

His Waterloo Medal is currently held by the Taranaki Museum, New Zealand but no biographical information about the recipient has been found so far.
http://vernon.npdc.govt.nz/search.do?view=detail&page=1&id=288592&db=object

Regards,

Spades

Hi, John Lewis - 23rd Foot - Born Llanarth, Monmouthshire. Labourer. Enlisted 1813 from Monmouth and Brecon Volunteers aged 17.

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 June 15 22:56 BST (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]Hi Martin,
Thankyou for the most generous offer, Just wondering if you could do a look up for the name Dannatt from Lincolnshire. I don't actually know if there was a Dannatt's in that war but it would be very interesting to see if there was.
Thanks in advance
Forgemenot

Sorry, not with that spelling. There are some Dunnetts, but they are from Suffolk and Devon

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 June 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, wondered if you could check out Samuel Foord (interchangeable with Ford) for me please.

Born 1789 in Ringmer, Sussex to John & Elizabeth Foord he died Ringmer 1850. He had children born 1812, 1814 & 1816 Ringmer so I think unlikely however someone with a private tree on Ancestry has this same character and attached to him a picture of a Waterloo Medal with the annotation 'given to all men who served at Waterloo' which implies that he was there.

Regards, Pheno

Sorry, I have no Samuel Fords listed at Waterloo (at least not those present at the battle - I don't have the reserve force at Hal in my database)