Author Topic: Knockando  (Read 3587 times)

Offline jimrobertson24

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Knockando
« on: Saturday 14 March 15 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Evening
Would anybody be able to show me where the address lower crofts is on a current map? It is in a 1901 census and the next door house is listed as the woolmill. I visited the woolmill last year but couldn't find anything that might have been lower crofts.

J

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Knockando
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
The best I can offer without going through the whole of the relevant enumeration district in the 1901 census is

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=57.4665&lon=-3.3559&layers=6

There are crofts marked on this, west of the woollen mill and north-east of Upper Tomdow. If you drag the blue circle in the margin to the left, you get the satellite view. They are still called The Crofts today, but you ned to look at a large scale map - the Landranger marks the buildings but doesn't name them.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimrobertson24

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 15 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Looks promising thank you

Offline jimrobertson24

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 15 17:14 GMT (UK) »
After a bit more investigation, unfortunately the crofts identified are not lower crofts. Anybody else have any idea?

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Having compared the OS six inch map with a current aerial view and also with the properties as transcribed by freecen for the 1871 census (the only one I could find easily for Knockando area) it looks like there are very few differences between now and over 100 years ago. The names of properties may change or be unlabelled by the physical buildings largely remain.

I did notice that the properties which were listed consecutively in the 1871 census list were often not adjacent in reality and visa versa (Cardow and Woodside Cottage although physically close are pages apart). I don't know if this would also be true for the 1901 census but it may be worth looking very slightly further afield than the woolen mill for your croft.

I was able to correlate many properties named on the map with census listings, but there were a few I could not. Perhaps these had been renamed by 1901?
A full list of the enumeration district list would perhaps shed more light on the subject.

May I ask how you were able to discount the crofts near Upper Tomdow?

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline jimrobertson24

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 20:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks kirsty

About 30 years ago my ggran took family to the location as she was born there. It was a ruin. My family can't remember exact location but know its not those at upper tomdow.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 May 15 14:35 BST (UK) »
Ah. I have a similar situation with my family. All that is left is a shadow in the grass where the house was demolished in the 60s. Maybe someone with local knowledge will know of a ruin in the area?

Good luck with your search.

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman