Author Topic: Jamaica Records c1830s-1840s - John Page, Cabinet Maker of Falmouth  (Read 1049 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jamaica Records c1830s-1840s - John Page, Cabinet Maker of Falmouth
« on: Sunday 15 March 15 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello rootschat,

Yesterday my mother bought an old veneered wooden box which inside had a piece of folded paper onto which was drawn and labelled the types of wood used on the decoration for the outside of the box.

It seems to be the template for when it was manufactured as it is exactly the same size as the design and folds over the top and side of the box. The piece of paper has a watermark of 1836 and on the back is a label which reads:

JOHN PAGE, Cabinet Maker and Turner, George's Street, Falmouth, Jamaica

I am staying with my mother for Mother's Day and we would both really like to see if we can find out more about this John Page who presumably designed made the box.

I have found a record from 1848 on familysearch which appears to be him.

On 14 May in 1848 in Saint James (the neighbouring parish to where Falmouth was), an Alexander Joseph Page was baptised. His date of birth was recorded as 21 June 1844 and his parents were John Page and Jane Pickersgill. Their residence appears to be 'Blytheton' and the occupation of John Page was a Cabinet Maker.

It seems this would be him. However I have not been able to find out any more and as I am not at all familiar with Jamaica records so would really appreciate any help! If anyone can help me find out any more about this box, that would be great!

Thanks,
Jon