Author Topic: Consultation on the future of burial and cremation in Scotland  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Consultation on the future of burial and cremation in Scotland
« on: Sunday 15 March 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
The Scottish Government is currently reviewing the law as it relates to burials and cremations in Scotland.

While it is true that the possible changes could include provisions for the re-use of lairs in certain circumstances, the rumour currently circulating that all graves will be re-sold after 75 years, and that all old stones will be destroyed, is rather wide of the mark.

The consultation document, which invites members of the public to give their opinions on a whole range of possibilities, is at https://consult.scotland.gov.uk/burial-cremation/consultation-on-a-proposed-bill-relating-to-burial

If you have opinions on this matter, please read the proposals, and the background to each one which is set out in the report of the Burial and Cremation Review Group appended to the survey document, and respond using the online form.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Consultation on the future of burial and cremation in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 March 15 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes I received an e- mail about this the other day from the History Society about this it appears that they want to reuse lairs by removing the current remains put them in a box and bury them deeper so they can reuse the lair ....I for one would not like the thought of any of my families remains being disturbed ...Surely if you are the owner of a lair they wont have any right to do that  ???

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 March 15 14:10 GMT (UK) »
There is a time limit for this.

"The closing date for responses is Friday 24 April 2015."

Regards

Malky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 15 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Yes I received an e- mail about this the other day from the History Society about this it appears that they want to reuse lairs by removing the current remains put them in a box and bury them deeper so they can reuse the lair ....I for one would not like the thought of any of my families remains being disturbed ...Surely if you are the owner of a lair they wont have any right to do that  ???

At the moment, no, they don't. The suggestion is to change the law so that lairs are no longer sold in perpetuity, and to give burial authorities the right to repossess unused or partly used lairs.

If you don't like the idea, do please participate in the survey and tell them what you think. What you say here on RootsChat will have no effect whatsoever, but if enough people respond to the survey it might help to influence what eventually happens.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.