Author Topic: Thomas family Llanellwedd  (Read 7698 times)

Offline Ithon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas family Llanellwedd
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 May 16 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

This is somewhat delayed from when you first posted your question about Rock House Llanelwedd. Since I last wrote I have been looking through the council records that cover Llanelwedd (Colwyn Rural District Council). I came across the following item & remembered your post on Rootschat. The council  meeting minutes for the 9th September 1963 record an item titled 'Re: Rock Cottage, Llanelwedd'.
'The Council considered the condition of the above mentioned house under the provisions of Section 16 of the Housing Act 1957 and the Owner, having through his Solicitors, offered an Undertaking, it was proposed by Councillor A.A. Higginbottom, seconded by Councillor D.E.M.Worts, and CARRIED that the Council accept an Undertaking that the house known as Rock Cottage, Llanelwedd, shall not be used for human habitation until the Council are satisfied that it has been rendered fit for that purpose and cancel the Undertaking'.

Basically the Council were condemning the property. I believe that a later entry indicated that the owner did not challenge the Council order. So it must be from that date that the property slowly fell down.
Rock Cottage/House is clearly not the property I was describing. That semi-detached property which is still standing & occupied I now believe to be called Sunnyside.
I believe that I used to walk past Rock Cottage ruins as a child in the 1970's. The derelict building  sat above and very close to the road. About 100yds to the left of Sunnyside & closer to Lugano Bungalow (also still there) which sits below the road. There used to be a very steep set of steps near these ruins that went up from the road to a walkway behind the hedgerow that locals & quarry workers used to use.

Ithon