Author Topic: Frederick elphick  (Read 5604 times)

Offline John M Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick elphick
« on: Monday 16 March 15 05:11 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the 1882 marriage of Frederick Elphick (Born: 1866 - Hildenborough).

The marriage was in Tunbridge Wells, and the info is: 1882/3rd Quarter/District: Tunbridge Wells/County: Kent/Country: England/Volume:2a/Page: 1001

His spouse has 2 potential names. 1) Emily Shaw. 2) Louisa Waters.

Any information on this marriage would be welcome.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick elphick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 15 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure it is your Frederick?  He would have very young when he married?

There is this family in 1891 living in Camberwell with a Sarah Waters mother in law, who look more likely with the wife Louisa (Waters) born T Wells

Fred Elphick 40b Soughbro' Kent
Louisa Elphick 32  T Wells
Fred W Elphick 7
Oleva S Elphick    2
Margaret Elphick 2
Sarah Waters    57  Mother in law
Ado Malkovich    17

Kay

Edit -In 1891 there was a Frederck Elphick age 24 single ag lab b Tonbridge and living in there as a lodger

Offline John M Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 15 06:15 GMT (UK) »
The Frederick Elphick in the 1891 census is indeed "my" Frederick. I also have his marriage details (as above) and he would've been 16 years old when he married. I haven't sent for his marriage certificate yet, and therefore do not know whether his wife was Louisa Waters, or Emily Shaw.

His Father was Edgar Elphick and his Mother Harriett (Nee: Denton)

I also found by the Electoral Records that about that time he was a lodger in a house owned by Louisa Waters, but there was no record of her in that Roll?????

Bit of a mystery

Cheers for now.....John

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 March 15 07:06 GMT (UK) »

I also found by the Electoral Records that about that time he was a lodger in a house owned by Louisa Waters, but there was no record of her in that Roll?????

Women weren't able to vote at that time so she won't be listed on an electoral roll.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 March 15 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
If as you say the 1891 census that Kay posted is the correct one, then that Frederick was born 1851 and looking at an earlier census record his father was Edward.

The Frederick born 1866 with parents Edgar and Harriet? is I think the other 1891 record which shows him as single.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John M Holmes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 March 15 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks people.........Of course women couldn't vote then (I forgot that!)

The 1891 census that Kay posted was indeed the other Frederick Elphick.

The 1891 census showing that he was a boarder I think is the right one, but one wonders what happened between his marriage in 1882, to that date? I am still chasing.

I will order the marriage certificate, but it takes weeks to receive it in Australia. I just thought someone might have information.

When I receive the certificate (that will name his wife) I will post the results.

Cheers....John

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 March 15 09:43 GMT (UK) »

The 1891 census showing that he was a boarder I think is the right one, but one wonders what happened between his marriage in 1882, to that date? I am still chasing.

If the boarder Frederick Elphick is the right one , as you say , then he did not marry in 1882. It was the other Frederick Elphick who is shown on the 1891 census with his wife Louisa who married in 1882. Frederick Elphick , boarder , is lodging with Stephen and Naomi Barton in 1891 in Tonbridge. A Fred Elphicke , 25 , travelling with Thomas Barton , 21 , arrived in Quebec 30 May 1892 on the Mongolian from Liverpool. Apart from the 1891 census , do you have your Frederick Elphick on any later census or might he have emigrated ?
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 March 15 11:08 GMT (UK) »
A Frederick Elphick (born England), son of Edward (?) and Harriet, married Harriet Marshall 16/8/1894 Toronto, Ontario.   The 1901 census gives his birthdate as 14 May 1866.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 March 15 11:20 GMT (UK) »
A Frederick Elphick (born England), son of Edward (?) and Harriet, married Harriet Marshall 16/8/1894 Toronto, Ontario.   The 1901 census gives his birthdate as 14 May 1866.

Annette
I wondered about that one too - perhaps Edward was written in mistake for Edgar ? Frederick Elphick was baptised 5 August 1866 at Hildenborough so a birthdate of 14 May is quite possible.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk