Author Topic: Potters Parade Newport  (Read 2958 times)

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Potters Parade Newport
« on: Monday 16 March 15 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

I have discovered that my great grandmother was born in Potters Parade in Newport but I am struggling to place this location. I know that Potter Street still exists and Im presuming that the Parade must have been close to this. I know that she lived in Pill for much of her younger life, having lived in New Street and been married in 1917 in Trinity Church, which I know is/was in the same area. She was born in 1897 and I cannot find any helpful maps that show where Potters Parade is.

I would be most grateful if someone out there might know or be able to share an old map. I would love to let my Mum know where her grandmother's birthplace was.

Thank you all so much

Jules ;D
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Potters Parade Newport
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 15 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat :)

Based on the 1901 census it was adjacent to Potter St and No 1 Potters Parade was the Royal George Hotel

Kay

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 15 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I have the Royal George as being in Portland Street so I'm guessing the Parade ran between Portland and Potter Street. My G-Gran was born at number 2 so right next door to this pub. Thank you so much Kay, that's really helpful :-) :-) :-)

Really wish I could find an old map though so if anyone can help, this would be great. Thank you.

Also if anyone can tell me where Trinity Church stood - Im guessing (again) that it where Trinity Court is now? The Church in Adeline Street is St Stephen and Trinity Church so I assume they amalgamated.

Thanks to everyone
Wright - Lincolnshire; Daymond - Devon; Murray - Co Cork; East - Hereforshire; Underwood - Blaenafon/Trevethin;

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 March 15 13:43 GMT (UK) »
This is a link to a selection of old maps of Newport - Can't see the parade at the moment http://www.newportpast.com/gallery/maps/index.htm

Kay

Edit - This map shows the location of the church http://maps.nls.uk/view/102186493 - You have to zoom in

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 March 15 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Kay you are such a sweetheart thank you! I've been searching half the morning for old maps and this didn't come up at all! So far I've found Trinity Church (which is indeed where Trinity Court now stands).

I will keep looking via this site. Thank you again so much, you're a star x

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 March 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Sadly the site doesn't have a photo of Potters Parade but there is one of Holy Trinty Church http://www.newportpast.com/gallery/photos/php/photo_page.php?search=potter&search2=yyyyyy&pos=1

Good Luck Kay

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 15 21:25 BST (UK) »
The photo of Holy Trinity Church was taken from Trinity Place, a short street that linked Portland Street and Potter Street.  The church was demolished in 1977.
 I can remember Potters Parade. If you went along Portland Street from Commercial Road end then the last building on the left, before you came to the railway crossing and the industrial area, was the George pub. If you turned left at the George there was this this dead-end street of about 3/4 houses.  This was Potters Parade. Houses only on one side and the railway line on the other. From what I remember the road wasn't tarmacced.  A book on the pubs of Newport says the George was demolished in 1979 so I would guess Potters Parade too.

Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline chepstowgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 August 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that Denben and apologies for the lateness of my response. I will pass this onto my mum who was asking for the info.

Many thanks

Jules