Author Topic: Information on Duncan McLeod, 1874 - 1916, Memorial in Ardclach Churchyard  (Read 4711 times)

Offline lynfitz1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am looking for information on the Memorial Stone to Duncan McLeod in the Ardclach Churchyard.  Duncan was born in Nairn, but fought in WW1 for the Australian Infantry.  He died on 6 June 1916, after taking part in the first Australian Raid on the German trenches of the war.  Unfortunately he and one other were killed on the way back.  My grandfather also took part in this raid.  A chap in Australia writing a book about the raid for the anniversary next year, and in my research for him I found the picture of the memorial in the churchyard, which was from his "serving companion raiders".  We would love to know when this stone was placed in the churchyard, and if there was any notice about it in the local press. We have all his army documentation, and know his parents names, but if anyone can shed light on when he went to Australia that would be great.
Thanks

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Information on Duncan McLeod, 1874 - 1916, Memorial in Ardclach Churchyard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 March 15 20:16 GMT (UK) »
 In loving memory of James MacLeod farmer. Balculcaich died 22 Nov 1920 aged 90. His wife Janet MacDonald died 6 May 1899 aged 67. Their daughter Margaret died 9 March 1883 aged 16. Their son William died 8 Jan 1920 aged 55. Their son James died 31 March 1948 aged 77. Their daughter Jane died ll Sept 1948 aged 65. Until the day dawn. In loving memory of sons & daughters of Jas & Jessie MacLeod Balculcaich who died abroad. Duncan fell in action in France 8 June 1916 aged 42. Interred at Ration Farm S.E. of Armentieres. Alexander died at Atlanta USA 8 Jan 1922 aged 61 interred at Atlanta. Isabella died at London 8 Feb 1891 aged 40 interred at London. Elizabeth Helen died at Pietersburg SA 2 March 1911 aged 42 interred at Pietersburg. Jessie died also there 25 July 1918 aged 58. In loving memory of James MacLeod farmer Auchnatone died at Balculcaich 28 July 1872 aged 98. His wife Isabella Mclntosh died at Auchnatone 20 Dec 1852 aged 57. Their son William died also there 17 May 1847 aged 18.

To the glory of god and in affectionate remembrance of our comrade Duncan D MacLeod, 28th Batt. Australian Infantry Brigade who fell at Armentieres, France during the original trench bombing of the Great War 6th June 1916.

www.rootschat.com/links/01eyk/

Offline lynfitz1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 15 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I think it was your picture on the Scottish War Graves page which started my hunt.  If you have any further information on when the stone was erected I would be most grateful.

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 March 15 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I am afraid I cant help there. :-\