Author Topic: Entry from the 1939/40 electoral roll John Donegan ...where to go now?  (Read 20255 times)

Offline Hannah K-P

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Good evening

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas on how I can find out more information about a man listed in the 1939/40 electoral roll.

The man is John Donegan who is listed as being in Clontarf East at 27 Kinkora Road. The entry is marked *also at 23 Upper O'Connell Street. He is also marked with a J which i believe means he was a juror.

Other people at the address are Eva Donegan and Minnie Brown. I believe Eva is his wife.

I'm desperate to find some more information (I'm afraid I don't have a dob even). Has anyone got any ideas. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Best wishes

Hannah

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Hannah K-P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: All I have is an entry from the 1939/40 electoral roll...where to go now?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 March 15 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Evening

Thanks. I wasn't sure how i could find my old post. I gave up hope when I couldn't get anywhere but now want to revisit. This electoral roll entry has to be him.

Should I delete this post and post on the old one? Sorry if I've broken guidelines I'm a bit of a newbie.

:)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 March 15 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Go to www.google.ie and just google "27 Kincora Road"  not Kinkora!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Hannah K-P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 07:21 GMT (UK) »
I get the feeling from the replies on this thread that I've disgruntled people. I was just looking for some help and appreciate the time people take to read and respond (even if comments are a little pointed). I'm not sure how I should have approached things differently but apologise if I have annoyed anyone.

I am still keen to get advice so perhaps someone could tell me where I've gone wrong....

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 08:53 GMT (UK) »
No you haven't disgruntled people...

I googled it and saw some interesting stuff!! You can then go Advanced search and see what you get. Maybe you got this on your other threads but I'm one who can't be bothred being bounced around having to rad thread after thread to find out what replies were previously given.

You only have to click on  Hannah K-P    to find all your posts... from Aghadoey's reply you now have 6 threads and people trying to help shouldn't have to search and search to find what has already been posted all over the shop.. too time consuming...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 08:54 GMT (UK) »
I started by posting a link to the topic you started in 2009 in case you'd forgotten- and then discovered there were lots more. It's best to keep to one topic rather than lots of different ones as searches and information is duplicated, time wasted, etc. Also earlier for you to have everything in one place. It's a bit like saying 'I need a pint of milk' and lots of people come to you with one not knowing that someone else has already gotten it for you.

Keeping all the details in one place also means that we can easily see everything you know at the start.

You've only a few posts so it should be difficult to find them again (as I did yesterday). Just click on profile then show posts (on the left side of page). If you want to narrow it down to topics you've started then just click on topics. Once you have lots of posts it may be easier to use the search box using the link near the top of each page- pick something like Donegan and fill in your username so you will also get other people's threads where you posted with that name in the message.

Quote from: hallmark
Go to www.google.ie and just google "27 Kincora Road"  not Kinkora!!
No idea what that search was supposed to find as all I got was items like houses for sale on Kincora Rd., Dublin.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I got strange stuff.. names of Scientist that lived there, results from Planning with names/dates etc..

Offline Hannah K-P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for coming back to me. I totally understand what you mean about having everything in one place. Do you think it's best for me to go back to one of the longer original threads and update there? (I do have a photo on the photo board as someone suggested I post it there for ageing).

Once again thanks for pointing me in the best way to use the forum.

Re the google search - i'm afraid I can't seem to see anything interesting just the recent sold info etc. Any clues?