Author Topic: Hayhursts in Lancashire, and Yorkshire and Westmorland  (Read 6777 times)

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hayhursts in Lancashire, and Yorkshire and Westmorland
« on: Monday 16 March 15 23:39 GMT (UK) »
I hope that I have put this on the correct Board ........ the families move between Lancashire, Yorkshire and Westmorland  :-\

I'm sorry that it is so long, but there is the details that I know, which may help the assumptions I'm making

OH's 4 x gt grandfather Robert Hayhurst married twice.

Known and proven facts are .........

He was born in 1767 in Slaidburn, Yorkshire, between 1790 and before 1841 he was a miller and farmer at Milton Mill and Cautley Mill (near Sedbergh) in Yorkshire.

On the 1841 Census, he was a Grocer in Kirby Lonsdale, Westmorland, as was his widow in 1851.

In 1791, he married Mary Newton in Sedbergh / Sedburgh, Yorkshire (marriage record found)

They had 3 children, all born in or near Sedbergh --- Gilbert, OH’s 3xgt grandfather, in  1792; Thomas in 1795; and John in 1797.

I have traced all 3 of those children, their marriages and children …………….

Gilbert married Jane Goose in 1813 in Whittington, Lancashire

Thomas married Elizabeth Askew in 1829 in Whittington, witnesses Thomas Askew and Joseph Askew. She was born about 1795, and her parents were Edward Askew and Elizabeth (surname unknown)

John married twice – Hannah Hodgson in 1829, and Mary Parrington in 1837.

Around 1800, Robert Hayhurst married again ………… I have not yet found a death for Mary Newton OR his re-marriage.

A tree on ancestry says the second marriage occurred on 24 December 1801, Sedbergh ……… I cannot find that proof, as yet.

However, it does seem certain ………. Mary Newton was born in 1766, Sedbergh, Yorkshire. The wife Mary shown in the 1841 and 1851 Censuses was born ca 1771 in Lowgill, Lancashire.

It is believed that he married Mary Ellishaw or Ellershaw, and they then had 2 children born in Sedbergh ---. Jane born 1 April 1803; and Elizabeth born 23 September 1805.

Robert Hayhurst died in 1842, and Mary nee Ellishaw in 1853, both in Kirby Lonsdale

I have managed to follow Elizabeth through the 1841, 1851 and 1871 Censuses to her death in 1879, but had not found her in 1861 ……….. in the first two, she was living with her parents in a Grocers in Kirby Lonsdale. In 1871 she was a Retired Grocer living with her sister-in-law Elizabeth Hayhurst at Mill Bridge, Stainton ….. the widow of Thomas Hayhurst.

Now come the problems and possible assumptions  :-\

Jane Hayhurst born 1803 is the problem ……… a problem more of making assumptions!

I could find no trace of her after her baptism …… Jane is one of the common names for girls in the Hayhurst family.

On Saturday, I found a tree on ancestry that said Jane Hayhurst had married William Askew in 1827.

I found that marriage on lancs opc ………. 10 May 1827. Whittington, Lancs, witnesses were John Hayhurst and Ann Askew. Unfortunately, no father’s name.

I found William and Jane Askew in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses, although her birth year is 1 or 2 years out. In 1851, she says she was born in Sedbergh, and in 1861 the birth place is Cortley ……… this could be Cautley (the mill that Robert Hayhurst had at some point before 1841).

They had children --- Thomas 1828; Robert 1831; Elizabeth 1832; and Mary Ann 1835. All are names common to both the Askew and Hayhurst families

Jane Askew died April 1868, age 64, Whittington, and William died May 1871 age 71, Whittington.

I’m beginning to assume that this was the Jane born in 1803 ……….. she had a half-brother called John, and he could have been the witness at the marriage. William Askew had a sister called Ann, possible witness, and also a sister called Elizabeth, who I think was the one who married Thomas Hayhurst in 1829.

William was a Malster and Farmer, as were the Hayhursts ………. and these families all intermarried. The Hayhursts in particular moved back and forth between Whittington and the Sedbergh area ……….. the prevailing theory is that they suffered persecution as they were Quakers, moving when the persecution got too bad.

However, on the 1861 Census, there is a visitor …………….. Jane Hayhurst, b.ca 1805, Cartley (or Cortley), Lancashire, Sister-in-law, Unmarried, Retired Grocer.

Problem!! No other Jane in the first family.

I’m wondering if my assumption could be correct that “Jane Hayhurst” Retired Grocer is actually Elizabeth Hayhurst? The birth date is correct, Cartley could be Cautley, and she probably was a Retired Grocer by 1861 ………… and I have not found her anywhere in the 1861 Census.

This also means that Elizabeth Hayhurst born 1805 was doubly sister-in-law to Elizabeth Hayhurst widow of Thomas Hayhurst …...... the latter was Elizabeth Askew before her marriage, so they would be related through her brother William and her husband Thomas, half brother of Elizabeth b. 1805.

so ..................

my present assumptions are that .......

1. Jane Hayhurst who married William Askew was the daughter of Robert Hayhurst and Mary nee Ellishaw

2. Jane Hayhurst Retired Grocer on the 1861 Census is actually Elizabeth Hayhurst, sister of Jane Askew nee Hayhurst

3. Elizabeth Askew who married Thomas Hayhurst in 1829 was the sister of William Askew who married Jane Hayhurst in 1827

4. Elizabeth Hayhurst Retired Grocer is doubly related to Elizabeth Hayhurst wife of Thomas ......... she's the half-sister of Thomas and the sister-in-law of William Askew

Does all that make sense???

Can anyone suggest any way in which I can validate the assumptions?
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hayhursts in Lancashire, and Yorkshire and Westmorland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 08:31 GMT (UK) »
can i suggest reading watermills of westmorland written by John somerville in the early 1900's theres quite a few mentions of Hayhursts around Kirkby Lonsdale and Stainton areas . Do you have any Christopher Hayhurst mentioned in 1829 at Lupton Mill  and came there from fromBurrow Mill at Tunstall . In 1829 a Mrs Hayhurst was listed in directory as miller and farmer at Milton Mill.Christopher had eight sons 5 were millers and 1 Thomas was workhouse master at Kendal for many years 11 members in the family

cheers Fellsman

Christopher was born Whittington Lancashire according to 1851 census at Lupton Mill ,Westmorland   DOB1786

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Sylvia, I' m not clear how Robert Hayhurst connects to Jane and Gilbert at Milton Mill but have you seen Jane Hayhurst's will 1842 probate at Lancashire Archives it could mention her children and their spouses and addresses. Sue
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline FELLSMAN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi S's
Is Gilbert not on 1841 census at 57 henry street , Lancaster  born c1791 with wife Jane born c1788  she was born in Lancashire he wasn't  working as a tailor ?

Cheers Fellsman

found them 1851 same address but Gilbert has year of birth 1789 and birthplace Whittington Lancs
burial for him st marys , lancaster 28 sept 1852

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 15 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzy

I do not have Jane's will of 1842 ......... she was Gilbert Hayhurst's wife, and thus the sister-in-law of the Robert whose children I am trying to check out.

Gilbert died before 1838 .............. this is a clip from the Westmorland Gazette ..........

Westmorland Gazette Sat 19 May 1838
         the late Gilbert Hayhurst, of Milton .........

In fact, I have just seen that 2 Public trees on ancestry say that my Gilbert died 8 November 1826, at Preston Patrick. Neither of them shows proof!

-----
EDIT March 19 2015, ca 4:45 am

A friend has just found a record of Gilbert's probate on FindMyPast (I don't have a sub to them).

FindMyPast Index to Death Duty Registers Transcription

Gilbert Hayhurst
   Death Year:- 1827
   Residence:- Milton Mill
   Court:- All Courts excluding FOC
   Record Set:- Index to Death Duty Registers 1796-1903
   TNA Ref:- IR27/109
   Category:- Birth, Marriage, Death and Probate Records
   Sub-category:- Wills and Probate

The administration bond was applied for on June 9 1827 (National Archives)

She hasn't yet managed to find a burial for him.
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 15 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fellsman

The problem as I have said on the Elizabeth Airey and John park thread is that there are two separate branches of the Hayhurst family in Lancashire, Westmorland and Yorkshire.

They HAVE to be related, but no-one seems able to get back beyond about 1620 and connect the two branches.

Both branches have Gilbert, William and Christopher in every generation

All the men seem to prefer wives called Elizabeth (or Jane!)

All are millers and farmers

All move back and forth between, basically, the Whittington area of Lancashire, and Milton Mill and Preston Patrick areas.

They have even been known to exchange mills.

The Gilbert Hayhurst, tailor, who died in 1852 is not on OH's branch ... though he married a Jane, and the birth dates are similar.

Two Public trees on ancestry say that my Gilbert died 8 November 1826, at Preston Patrick. Neither of them shows proof!

I have not seen that book, Watermiills of Westmorland by John Somerville. I shall have to do some searching .......... I'm in Canada, so pretty certain that it won't be in my local library!

Lupton Mill does not seem to feature as a focus in the Hayhursts I have been following. Certainly I have found one or more Hayhurst women who married men living at Lupton, and a young Hayhurst was a farm servant at Lupton in the 1850s.

For example, Alice, daughter of Gilbert and Jane, married Joseph Parker of Lupton in 1838

Offline Ruth Gibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 March 15 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sylvia
I have looked at Quaker persecution  in England on Wikipedia and in 1689 an act of tolerance was passed making persecution illegal.I  have a Robert Hayhurst on my family tree . He was the son of Gilbert Hayhurst and Jane Goose and was born in Preston Patrick in 1822.He married Ann Richardson and was miller at Sellet Mill Whittington on all the censuses . He died there in1892.
Ruth

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 March 15 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Ruth ...........

I think we all know that an act may be passed, but things may not change fast in rural areas of the country! There was still antipathy, which veered on persecution, against Catholics and Jewish people in the 1950s in some parts of Lancashire.

Whether that was the case or not .............. persecution has been suggested as one of the reasons why the two Hayhurst branches moved back and forth so regularly between different counties.

Your Robert Hayhurst was the younger brother of my husband's ancestor, Jane Hayhurst who was born in 1814. She was the eldest child of Gilbert and Jane (nee Goose).

I have Robert Hayhurst and Ann Richardson having a total of 14 children ......... not quite as many as Jane and her husband William Park  :D

Robert died 13 April 1892, registered Lunesdale, Lancashire, buried 16 April 1892, St Michael the Archangel, Whittington.

I presume you have seen the record of probate of his will, which can found an ancestry .............
Probate granted 26 April 1892 to Ann Hayhurst, Widow. Effects £264 2s 6d

Ann Hayhurst died 13 January 1905, age 81, and was buried 16 January 1905, St Michael the Archangel, Whittington. Probate granted at Lancaster on 24 January 1905 to Alice Hayhurst, Spinster

Have you also discovered that Ann Richardson had a child before marriage?

Also present on the 1851 census was Mary Richardson (b. ca 1844, Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland), daughter …. I presume she was Ann’s daughter. By 1861 Mary R had become Mary Hayhurst and was listed as Servant.
I found the record of Mary's baptism in England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538 – 1975 ........

Mary Shepherd Richardson baptised 29 Jan 1843 at Kirkby Lonsdale, Westmorland, England mother Anne Richardson

Offline Ruth Gibson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia
This chat is not strictly a reply but to ask if you have any information about Gilbert Hayhurst Park. He was as you probably know,one of Gilbert  Parks sons and was born in 1868.Ihave him on the 1871 and1881 census .In 1889 he went to New York but was back in England in 1892 getting married.I cannot trace him after that. However last week I went to Wigan to look at Gilbert Parks grave and found Gilbert Hayhurst Park on the gravestone.  He died in 1914 in his 40s. I cannot find a death or any further information. Can you help?
Ruth