Author Topic: Hayhursts in Lancashire, and Yorkshire and Westmorland  (Read 6810 times)

Offline sylvia (canada)

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hayhursts in Lancashire, and Yorkshire and Westmorland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 May 15 05:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Ruth

I don't follow sibling's children usually.

All I have on Gilbert Hayhurst Park is that in the 1901 Census a Gilbert M Park age 32 (b. 1869, Kendal), married, is cook & steward on the SS Grampus (registered Glasgow). I think this is Gilbert Hayhurst even though it is M on the image.

I have found a marriage for him to Mary Elizabeth Hall, Dec qt 1892, St Michael and All Angels, Wigan

and that is it. No death, no wife or him in 1911, no wife in 1901
Taylor, Park, Rowlandson, Hayhurst, Goose, Moor, Mattinson, Dawes. Westmorland, Yorkshire, Lancashire.
Cadd, Ellard, Schofield, Ashton, Cott(e)rill, Buck(w)right, Love. Buckinghamshire, Lancashire
Hughes, Roberts, Wynn(e), Griffiths. Wales

Offline Shearing

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hayhursts in Lancashire, and Yorkshire and Westmorland
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 July 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
My Hayhurst family seem to come from Yorkshire before they lived in Sunderland.  That all sounds fine except one was married in Manchester Cathedral and another said his parents lived in Lancashire (yet they were born and married in Yorkshire and were on the Census in Yorkshire). 

The family seems to think there must be a connection between the two Hayhurst areas and yet interestingly enough I've just had a DNA test and it is showing 77% UK with a large proportion of that in the south.

I note there has been a mention of some of the family being quakers.  Certainly the rumour was that they came to the UK under religious persecution. Everyone I have met (and my grandfather was one of 13 has the same story) about coming from Spain or Italy because of religious persecution  Perhaps they encountered that this the UK as that rumour is now appearing less likely from all the DNA tests.

Mitchell Hayhurst (1833) seems to be related to (son) of William Hayhurst 1783 in Blacktoft so firmly in Yorkshire.

Would be interested to see if anyone knows anything about Thomas Hayhurst (married 1766) which seems to be the furthest I can get back.  It just goes cold.