Author Topic: Help Find Gr.Gr.Grandfather's Birth Record.  (Read 4027 times)

Offline GagaGram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help Find Gr.Gr.Grandfather's Birth Record.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 April 15 04:03 BST (UK) »
Hi dfk,
Thank you so much for the information. I've found 2 Alexander Bains in the 1841 South Shield,Durham census,each listed as 1yr. old. Both live in the Jarrow civil parish.
Since I'm not sure if either of these  Alexander's is the one I'm looking for, I'll keep what you've sent on file.
The information seems to be a possible match,now I have to find more proof!!
Thank you,again.
Lancs-Greenwood,Rhodes,Driver,Hitchen.Grindrod,Kenyon,Westall,Atkinson,Baines,Ireland. Lancs/Westmoreland -  Harling. Ches/Lancs. -  Boulton,Nield/Neild,Higham,Collier/Colliers.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 April 15 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi the Alexander b c 1841 South Shields has father John occ Grocer, and Alexander looks to be a Shipwight in 1861?

The James married to Alice in Claughton was b c 1810 Claughton

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GagaGram

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 April 15 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Keyboard86,
Thank you so much for the information. The Alexander, who was b.c.1841 South Shields,son of John,grocer, doesn't appear to be my gr.gr. grandfather. This Alexander appears to also be a butcher and married by 1861 and is widowed by 1871.
The 2nd Alexander,b.c.1841 South Shields,was a son of William,shipwright. By 1851, the family is living in Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland. In 1861, Northumberland, this Alexander is listed as  a shipwright. At least I can rule out these 2 Alexanders.

I question the naming tradition of Alexander and Mary E. Ireland Baines children. On Alexander's 1862 Liverpool marriage record, his father is listed as John Baines,wheelwright. Alexander & Mary's first born son was named William Alexander (1865-1871). Shouldn't this child be named after his paternal grandfather? The 2nd and 3rd. sons,who were twins were named Joseph Daniels & Thomas Ireland Baines. Wasn't the 2nd son named after the father?
The name William, seemed to be important to Alexander and Mary. They named their youngest son, William Henry.
I wonder if Alexander's father was born William John(called John) or if Alexander was born as John Alexander or William Alexander.

I know Alexander returned to England in 1910. I haven't found record of him ever returning to the U.S. or him dying in the U.S. But I also haven't found a death record for him in England from 1910-1940,listed as Alexander Baines & various spellings.
This is my 2 sided brick wall,no birth or death record. I've heard he was a real bugger in life, and remains so in death.
Any further suggestions are welcome.
Best wishes
Lancs-Greenwood,Rhodes,Driver,Hitchen.Grindrod,Kenyon,Westall,Atkinson,Baines,Ireland. Lancs/Westmoreland -  Harling. Ches/Lancs. -  Boulton,Nield/Neild,Higham,Collier/Colliers.