Author Topic: Greenway, John Llanbadarn-y-Garreg  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenway, John Llanbadarn-y-Garreg
« on: Tuesday 17 March 15 00:22 GMT (UK) »
According to Ruth Greenway (and her descendents) her father and mother were John Greenway and Elizabeth Price married 17.XII.1814 in Llanbadarn-y-Garreg.  According to the 1841 & 1851 Census, her father would have been age 13-14 and her mother age 6-7 in 1814, but I can not find any record of a John Greenway marrying an Elizabeth in a legal time-frame (Ruth was Christened 10.XII.1826).  Ruth's siblings could have been Jane b. 1816, Elizabeth 1818, John 1821, James 1823, and Mary 1829.  John Greenway's occupation was Tailor.  Ruth was an housemaid in Monmouthshire in 1841, but allegedly returned home after her mother, Elizabeth died.
Any information/documentation would be greatly appreciated!

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Greenway, John Llanbadarn-y-Garreg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 15 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
FindMyPast Powys marriage images has the marriage (by banns) of John Greenway and Elizabeth Price on the date, 1814, and in the place you thought. The marriage was witnessed by William Probert and Ann Jones. There is also an earlier baptism of a John Greenway on 8th October 1788, son of John and Jane.

There is also the record of a burial in Glasbury of an Elizabeth Greenway on May 28th 1845 aged 49 (born 1796)

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paparico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your time and assistance!  It would appear the 1788 John married Elizabeth Price in 1814, when she was 18 (although it was with consent of both parents) and that the John was the son of the John & Jane,  as daughter Jane was born in 1816, but I am still unable to reconcile that John & Elizabeth with the John & Elizabeth ages reported in the 1841 & 1851 Census reports, even though John is listed as a widower in 1851.  Someone knows who is who, and I hope they see this message!

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 January 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I wonder if your PRICE family has connections to  ELIZA PRICE who married WILLIAM LEWIS in Glascwm in 1844.
Eliza says her father was WALTER PRICE  a collier. I have Eliza and William in 1851 in Llangattock but sometime thereafter William migrated to Pennsylvania.
Eliza seems to disappear, I cannot find a burial record anywhere nor can I find her going to USA with William.
Do you have a Walter Price in your records please?

Avril

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 January 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Is it William and Eliza with children Thomas and Dorothy in 1851?
If so,it may be worth considering that Eliza is with an Enos Davies in 1861 in Llangattock with Dorothy,using the Davies surname(I can't see a marriage).Enos appears as a bachelor in 1851,so a daughter born 1842 looks suspiscious!Just a theory.......

Regards
Roger

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 January 18 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Despair

yes, that's William & Eliza Lewis in Llangattock with Dorothy and Thomas in 1851. I found Enos Davies in 1861 but don't recognise the other children

Avril

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 January 18 12:30 GMT (UK) »
1851 in Verwick, Cardiganshire we have;

Elizabeth Davies, 39, Head, Mat, Labourers Wife, born Verwig
Dorothy Davies, 9, born Verwig
Wan Davies, 2, born Verwig (Evan)

DAVIES, EVAN. Mothers mn BOWEN****
GRO Reference: 1848  D Quarter in MONTGOMERY IN THE COUNTIES OF MONTGOMERY AND SALOP  Volume 27  Page 92

From 1861 Census;
DAVIES, DAVID, Mothers mn BOWEN**
GRO Reference: 1858  M Quarter in CRICKHOWELL  Volume 11B  Page 120

Although Enos Davies is down as unm in 1851 Census he was a Lodger so they may have not known his marital status.

1841 in Verwick we have;
Enos Davies   25
Elizabeth Davies   25
Owen Davies   7
James Davies   3

1871 Enos is a Widr and there is a Dorothy Bowen, unm, who is visiting.
Margaret/David are at home.

Enos DAVIES married Elizabeth BOWEN 12 December 1833, Verwick, Cardigan

So I dont think it is Elizabeth Lewis nee Price in 1861 Census with Enos Davies.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)