Author Topic: Lucy DONOVAN who migrated to NZ in the 1860s  (Read 12815 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy DONOVAN who migrated to NZ in the 1860s
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 23:10 GMT (UK) »

The marriage in Orange, NSW in 1888 may be a little late for a woman possibly born around the 1840s (GPD was born ca 1844/1845) & that Lucy may have been the one on the index born in Orange in 1870, hence marrying at an appropriate age of 18 yrs.   There is no death of a Lucy JORGER on the NSW BDM index (which might have provided names of her parents).

Hi

You can rule out Lucy JORGER.   ;)

Unfortunately, the spelling on NSW (and other records) for the 1888 marriage of Lucy DONOVAN, has the groom's name as JORGER, when in fact it should have been "JAEGER".
The groom was also apparently more commonly known by his second name of "Herman".
The couple, Lucy and Ferdinand H. R. JAEGER, were still having children up until 1909.

Death - NSW

JAEGER - Lucy
Father:  John O.
Mother:  Mary
Registered at Orange, NSW

[Birth - NSW - 1870 - DONOVAN - Lucy - Parents:  John Q. and Mary DONOVAN.    Reg. at Orange, NSW. ]

~  Lu

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy DONOVAN who migrated to NZ in the 1860s
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 May 18 03:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy, Janette & Spades

On 18 March 15, I said I was unsure if Lucy's brother, George P. Donovan (GPD) went to NZ before coming to NSW. Some new information has come to light in this regard, in that a person who is a probable ancestor of GPD with whom I made contact via DNA matching (AF) has found evidence that GPD arrived in NSW on 8 November 1864 as a stowaway on "Prince Alfred" from Auckland, and that, for refusing to pay the fare, GPD spent six weeks in Darlinghurst gaol.

I have been unable to find records of their migration to NZ.

KF