Author Topic: Beattie, Gibb, Spencer  (Read 5237 times)

Offline stephenbonn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beattie, Gibb, Spencer
« on: Tuesday 17 March 15 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help me please. Does anybody have any information on William Wilson Beattie born 12/7/1830 Ayrshire, Scotland and died 23/11/1914 New South Wales, Australia, and his wife Mary Ann Gibb born ? - ?, her parents I think are James and Isabella Gibb. William's parents are David Wilson Beattie and Margaret Spencer.
Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you
Stephen
Bonnitcha (Bonachit, Bonniccia, Bonacci), Fleming, Anderson, Fraser, Watson, Neal, Finlayson, McKenzie, McQueeney, Peddison, Cuming, Burgess, Boyton, Mallin, Bruce, Bird, Howes, Ward, Richards

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie, Gibb, Spencer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen ,

http://www.freecen.org.uk/ 1851 Census transcription has a William W Beattie 20 born Kilmarnock Ayrshire , living with his brother David and family , Gorbals Lanarkshire.
William's occupation is given as cabinet maker.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Found this reference to a possible marriage -
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTB6-NX5

I note that William's death is down as the district of Granville.
There is a 1912 death for a Marion J Beattie , father John G , mother Isabella , also in Granville.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 March 15 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen,

William and his parents and siblings are on the Scottish 1841 Census at High Street Kilmarnock, Ayrshire as Beatie.

David Beatie         50         Skinner                          Born outside Census County
(Mrs)  -- Beatie    45                                                Ayrshire
James Beatie       20    Skinner's Apprentice               "
David Beatie         18   Skinner's Apprentice               "
Jean Beatie          16   Muslin Sewer                           "
Ann Beatie            13  Muslin Sewer                           "
William Beatie        11                                                  "
Margret Beatie       2                                                    "

Looby :)

Offline stephenbonn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 15 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Looby and EV, for your help and information.
Would any one have information on Mary Ann Gibb's parents, James Gibb and Isabella ?.
Thank you
Stephen
Bonnitcha (Bonachit, Bonniccia, Bonacci), Fleming, Anderson, Fraser, Watson, Neal, Finlayson, McKenzie, McQueeney, Peddison, Cuming, Burgess, Boyton, Mallin, Bruce, Bird, Howes, Ward, Richards

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 15 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stephen.
I've had a quick look on 1841 and 1851 Scottish Census for Mary Ann/ Marion Gibb and have to say I've not (yet  ;) ) found a likely candidate. Neither have I found a possible couple James and Isabella Gibb. Of course , they could be dead especially by 1851.

Where did you get the names for her parents? Was it from a death cert? If so there is a small chance that could be wrong? Info on death certs are only as good as the memory and knowledge of the informant. If the info was on a document written during Mary Ann/Marion's lifetime, then you would assume she had provided the info and that the names are correct. Although I have to admit that my own gg - grandfather gave a different name for his absent mother on his 2 marriage certs Margaret then Jane  ??? - There were only 3 years between each marriage (wife 1 died very young), so I can't put it down to old age, only to the fact that his mother appears to have vanished from his life (perhaps dead) from before he was 5.

Can you tell us the full names and order of birth of William and Marion's children please? Were any born in Scotland? As you may know the tradition of the "Scottish naming pattern" was very strong at this time, and names can give clues to grandparents. It's not an exact science, not everyone followed it but sometimes the names of offspring can pay dividends!

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 March 15 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Immigration records have William Wilson Beattie age 21 entering New South Wales in September 1853 along with his brother David Beattie and David's wife and children. So William's marriage would have been in Australia.

Someone has a family tree on Ancestry, and they have Mary Ann Gibb's birth as 1827 in Paisley, Renfrewshire, parents James Gibb and Isabella. They have her death as September 1912 at Newington Hospital, NSW. No sources given so you can't assume it's correct!
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 March 15 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Immigration records have William Wilson Beattie age 21 entering New South Wales in September 1853 along with his brother David Beattie and David's wife and children. So William's marriage would have been in Australia.

Mmmm - that is odd that William Wilson Beattie is recorded as entering New South Wales in the September of 1853 as there is a record on FamilySearch , which is supported by an OPR entry on Scotlands People for a marriage between a William Wilson Beattie and Marion Gibb at Gorbals Glasgow on 6th November of that same year.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTB6-NX5

The original would need to be looked although it may yield no further information.

Offline stephenbonn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 15 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby

I got the information from the ships manifest (Columbia 22/8/1854), it says that Mary Ann Gibb born in Paisley, Scotland, who was William Wilson Beattie's wife, her parents were James and Isabella Gibb (both dec). I only have one daughter and her name is Margaret Wilson Beattie born 1847 in Kilmarnock, Scotland, so that means they were married in Scotland.
Thank you
Stephen