Author Topic: Beattie, Gibb, Spencer  (Read 5240 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie, Gibb, Spencer
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 March 15 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Stephen.

I have looked at the manifest of the Columbia September 1854, when it looks like William's parents and sister, his brother David and family and himself plus wife and child travelled to Australia.

William Beattie        age 24    Carpenter     born Kilmarnock Ayrshire
Mary Anne              age 27    Wife             born Paisley
Margaret                age 7      Daughter      born Paisley

There is a marriage on 6th Nov 1853 in the Gorbals area of Glasgow of a William Wilson Beattie and a Marion Gibb.  William W Beattie is on the 1851 Census at 7 Nelson Street Gorbals - an unmarried 20 year old Cabinet Maker.
This must mean that the child Margaret was born before the couple married.
In fact if Margaret's year of birth is circa 1847  - it means William was only 17 years old and the couple waited 6 years before marrying.  Not impossible  :-\  these things did happen !
But I think you must also have to consider that Margaret was not William's daughter  :-\

Marion may have been unmarried and  given birth. Or she could have been married and widowed??
So far I've not been able to find either Marion or Margaret on the 1851 Census either in Renfrewshire or Glasgow.

I realise you have William's daughter as Margaret Wilson Beattie, please bear in mind that the surname and middle name may have been given to her when William and Marion married. No-one had birth certificates etc at this time and you could basically call yourself whatever you wanted. It did happen that young children from earlier marriages/relationships took on their step-father's surname. And people picked up middle names at any stage of their life !!
Of course, I could be wrong  ::)

Looby  :)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 March 15 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The 1841 census has at 30 Glen St, Paisley
Isabel Gibb 40 Silk winder
Marian Gibb 15
Isabel Gibb 12
Mary Gibb 10
Jean Arthur 15

1851 census, same address
Isabella Gibb 46 b Paisley Head
Isabella Gibb 21 b Paisley warehouse sewer daughter
Mary Gibb 19 b Paisley warehouse sewer daughter
William Peacock 2 b Paisley grandson

There is an intriguing entry in the 1851 census for a Margaret Gibb b 1846at 139 George Street, Paisley. She is showing as a scholar but I cannot see any other members of the household.

The above may be a complete red herring but I thought I would draw your attention to it. I am also struggling to see an 1851 census entry for Mary Ann / Marion Gibb.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 March 15 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The 1841 census has at 30 Glen St, Paisley
Isabel Gibb 40 Silk winder
Marian Gibb 15
Isabel Gibb 12
Mary Gibb 10
Jean Arthur 15

1851 census, same address
Isabella Gibb 46 b Paisley Head
Isabella Gibb 21 b Paisley warehouse sewer daughter
Mary Gibb 19 b Paisley warehouse sewer daughter
William Peacock 2 b Paisley grandson

There is an intriguing entry in the 1851 census for a Margaret Gibb b 1846at 139 George Street, Paisley. She is showing as a scholar but I cannot see any other members of the household.

The above may be a complete red herring but I thought I would draw your attention to it. I am also struggling to see an 1851 census entry for Mary Ann / Marion Gibb.

William

Hi,
Well done on the 2 Census entries-  I had come across the 1841 family but hadn't posted it.

I looked for wee Margaret Gibb above and found a family living at 139 George Street, Greenock  :-\
John Gibb (House factor) and wife Margaret Gibb. There are children Thomas, Jane, Margaret and Elizabeth - all are born in Paisley.

Looby :)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 March 15 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The mother of William Peacock would appear to be Isabella Gibb b 1830. Isabella is recorded as Isabella Gibb in the 1861 and 1871 census with further Peacock children (John and Isabella) but as Isabella Peacock in 1881 and 1891. (Husband in 1881 John Peacock, a rope maker - possibly died 16 Jan 1889 and left a will).
There is a marriage in High Church, Paisley 3 Aug 1874 between Isabella Gibb and John Peacock. If this is the correct couple the marriage record on Scotland's People should have the names of her parents and, therefore , confirm if she was a sister of Mary Ann/ Marion Gibb.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 March 15 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Marion/ Mary Anne Gibb and daughter Margaret (if the child is hers ?) are hiding well on the 1851 Census.

The two Census results Millmoor found do indeed appear to be Marion with her family in 1841 and her family without her in 1851.
The marriage Millmoor posted between Isabella Gibb and John Peacock in 1874 is in my opinion Marion Gibb/Beattie's younger sister. She is 44 at time of marriage (born 1830) and her parents are : James Gibb deceased - occupation Hatter and Isabella Gibb maiden name Smith also deceased. The witnesses to the marriage are Archibald McNab and Mary McNabb ( yes both spelled differently on the record  ::)  ).
These witnesses are the youngest Gibb daughter Mary Gibb and her husband Archibald McNab

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XYW8-P3K
Mary Gibb married Archibald McNab on 24th June 1853 at Paisley

And just to confirm we are with the right people :
the couple have 3 daughters  all born at Paisley
Isabella S McNab born circa 1854/5 (named after Mary's Mum)
Agnes Campbell McNab born 31st Mat 1856
Marion Beattie McNab born 7th Nov 1858

Just a shame we haven't found Marion or little Margaret on 1851 yet.   As I mentioned earlier I have wondered if Margaret was born to Marion and a different father. Equally I suppose she could be William's daughter to another female. Both Marion's sisters called their first daughter after their mother (which was common practice). Marion didn't  :-\   Margaret is William Wilson Beattie's mother's name  :-\   Bit of a mystery here.
Hope it gets solved.

Looby :)     

Offline stephenbonn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 March 15 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Looby
Well it is a bit of a mystery and a puzzle.....lol, Thank you so much for all your help Looby and all the information that you have gathered. I will try to sort all this out and I think you have nearly answered all my questions.
Thank you again
Stephen
Bonnitcha (Bonachit, Bonniccia, Bonacci), Fleming, Anderson, Fraser, Watson, Neal, Finlayson, McKenzie, McQueeney, Peddison, Cuming, Burgess, Boyton, Mallin, Bruce, Bird, Howes, Ward, Richards