Author Topic: William GORE - died 1838, near Prescott. Any help wanted please!  (Read 4056 times)

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William GORE - died 1838, near Prescott. Any help wanted please!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 October 16 08:07 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if anyone has access to any databases which might reveal the names of the two (?) children of William and Hannah Gore of Prescott.
Any ideas?

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 October 16 16:03 BST (UK) »
This site has shows Gores in 1852 census of Upper Canada.  No sign of Hannah.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SurnameSearch.jsp?surname=gore&ew=w&geosort=

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 14 October 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Found Hannah Gore in 1842 census of Toronto at

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/1842-canada-west/Pages/1842-canada-west.aspx

My take on this data is that she was living on Market Street in a house owned by Mathew Teefey.  Her occupation is shown as huckster, there was 1 native of Ireland and 2 natives of Canada of British origin.  She had been in the province for 8 years and the family consisted of 1 female five years of age and under, 1 female six to thirteen years of age and 1 female fourteen to forty-four years of age shown as single where the only other choice was married.  3 members of the Church of Scotland.

Based on William's death in 1838, the youngest girl was born between 1837 and 1839.  Since Hannah seems to have only been in Canada for 8 years, the older girl was born between 1834 and 1836.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 15 October 16 07:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. :) I can't see anything of interest on the first list provided, but was very interested in the fact that she was located on the 1842 census, now living in Toronto.

I am trying to find what happened to Hannah after his death, and particularly what became of the two daughters, and ultimately find some descendants. It is also progress to know that the children were both female.

How would I find more information on them? I did have a look at the next census, but couldn't see Hannah.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 October 16 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would check the Canadian censuses further on (1851/2, 61, 71 etc) for the family in the national archive databases http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/search/Pages/ancestors-search.aspx and http://automatedgenealogy.com/. I would also check the cross-border listings and the American censuses (1800 onward) for the family.

If William gore died in 1838, Hanna may have re-married so I would look for that event, although it is harder in Ontario to get that info between then and 1869 when the civic records became mandatory. There would possibly be records in the Droin Collection. Similarly I would look for marriages for the daughters as well :-)

Hope this helps,

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 October 16 14:14 BST (UK) »
To save you wasting your time Katherine - The border crossings on ancestry unfortunately don't start until 1895 so there would be nothing available for that earlier time frame.

The US Census from 1800 - 1840 generally named only the head of household but reported the age of each household member in age categories.

Unfortunately - Familysearch do not seem to be throwing up any marriages for female Gore marriages - nothing in the Drouin Colection either.

One entry that intrigues me - There is a marriage 20 December 1869 Gores Landing of a Hannah Sarah Gore born 1818 Dublin Ireland (parents John and Catherine Hitchcock)  married to Frederich William Barron  ???

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-Y39T-8VV?i=108&wc=3N7Y-HZS%3A1584309303%2C1584310502%2C1584310503%3Fcc%3D1784216&cc=1784216

If the oldest female was born 1836 or thereabouts - its til could be feasible.  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 15 October 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
Trying to look at earlier records to locate this particular Hannah Gore -  1861 Census shows Hannah Gore born 1818 - aged 43 years  and widowed Hamilton, Northumberland, Canada West with a family of William Gore aged 19 years - Harriet 17 years - Anna 15 years - Harry 13 years - Thomas 10 years - Mary 8 years - Catherine 4 years -
Also found her with a husband Thomas in 1851 and a marriage for them in 1841 -  so obviously not the correct one you are looking for - one to discount.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 November 17 09:45 GMT (UK) »
I still haven't found any further information on Hannah GORE or her two daughters. Would love to hear back from anyone if they find any information that might be relevant!

Further to this, I notice that there is an area called Wexford right near to The Battle of the Windmill in Prescott. I wonder if anyone might know something of the local history and know why the area is called this?

Thanks, Katharine.