Author Topic: HERON, William - Possibly Ballymacool, Letterkenny  (Read 2773 times)

Offline GreatBlueHeron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never give up the search!
    • View Profile
HERON, William - Possibly Ballymacool, Letterkenny
« on: Wednesday 18 March 15 03:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Fellow Family Researchers,

I have been looking for the birthplace of my gr-gr grandfather William HERON, b. June 22, 1823 in Ireland. I am looking in Donegal given that a relative who did some research in the 80's (and whom is now deceased) noted that William's brother was Thomas HERON from Ballymacool (a carpenter) who married Margaret HUNTER April 26, 1849, in Conwal, Letterkenny, Donegal (marriage found on FamilySearch.org and Ancestry.com).  My William came to Canada sometime prior to 1850.  According to the research in the 80's it was noted William came in the mid 1840's and that his father was Edward HERON. How much of a stretch is it that the family all resided in the Ballymacool/Letterkenny area since Thomas resided there at the time of his marriage?

My William was enumerated in all Canadian census records as being born in Ireland.

If anyone has any resources that could help me find out if my William indeed came from Ballymacool I would be most grateful.

Thank you,
J.

Researching: CARSON (Down), FENNELL (Wexford), HERON (Donegal), MCCULLOUGH (Monaghan)
CARSON-Antrim & Down, FENNELL-Wexford, HERON-Donegal, MCCULLOUGH-Monaghan, WHITE-Antrim, WILLIAMS-Anglesey

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HERON, William - Possibly Ballymacool, Letterkenny
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Try http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/  search box bottom of page, 100's of Heron records there
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline GreatBlueHeron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never give up the search!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 15 04:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark. Have reviewed many times over the years. Nothing there unfortunately.
Best,
J.
CARSON-Antrim & Down, FENNELL-Wexford, HERON-Donegal, MCCULLOUGH-Monaghan, WHITE-Antrim, WILLIAMS-Anglesey

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 15 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Not  a lot to go on and the date is early for Irish records but I do see a couple of clues that may help you. You have a townland for Thomas Heron, Ballymacool and a fathers name Edward, don't see an Edward in the tithe records for the townland in 1834 but there was a Fanny Hemming, looking at the original scan the  name it may well be Herning. I suspect this is Heron as neither Hemming or Herning are common names in Donegal and as you will be aware spelling of names in this time period was fairly arbitrary anyway. Fanny may be the widowed wife Edward Heron, but that's just speculation.

The fact that Thomas Heron's marriage was announced in a local newspaper would lead to think the family were of some means.

May 12 1849
On the 26th ult., at Letterkenny, by the Rev. Richard Smith, MARGARET, second daughter of the late MR WILLIAM HUNTER, of Conwall, to MR THOMAS HERON, of Letterkenny.

Ballymacool was the seat of the Boyd family in the 19th century, there may exist records relating to tenants, I think papers relating to the family are held at the Donegal County Archives Ref: DCAP80

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/culture/archives/countyarchivescollection/

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America