Author Topic: 5th Irish Lancers  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
5th Irish Lancers
« on: Wednesday 18 March 15 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

This may be a stupid question, but, if someone was a sergeant in the 5th Irish Lancers in the la
1890s... Would they have to have been born in Ireland in order to enlist with the Irish lancers?
Would they need to have Irish parentage?

Thank you

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 5th Irish Lancers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 10:38 GMT (UK) »
No, all regiments contained men from all countries. The 5th Royal Irish Dragoons, later Lancers, were reformed in the 1850s, and during the next sixty years only spent about one year in seven in Ireland.

Ken

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your quick reply Ken  :)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma

Are you looking for where your Sergeant came from? If so post what details you have of him. If you know his number that can be used to discover when he joined the 5th Lancers, for example.

Ken

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Yes I am trying to find out where he came from. I posted about him on here a few months back and managed to get his army number but I still can't find much else about him.

His name was Henry Stewart. His number was 2723. He was a staff sergeant farrier.
He served in India for a few years during the late 1890s, where he also married and had children.
Then it seems he was killed during the Boer War in 1900.

I know his father's name was Walter Stewart. And I may have tracked down a half sister... But that's it.

There seem to be strong links to Ireland for him. His wife was Irish and possibly his mother.

He was born approx 1867.

If I could find out his nationality or even when he enlisted that would really help.

He was my great great grandfather.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 23:43 GMT (UK) »
2723 would have been issued in early 1885 when the 5th Lancers were based in Brighton. They may have had recruiting parties in Ireland, if the CO thought they should he recruiting more Irishmen.

As he died while still serving they would not have kept his record. But the muster books in the National Archives covering the year he enlisted may have his place of birth and age on enlistment. One problem - there is a note on the musters saying that some are missing:

WO 16/1203   5th Lancers
WO 16/1204   5th Lancers - most likely, but not clear when it starts.

WO 16/1221   9th Lancers (includes Rolls for the 5th Lancers and 20th Hussars for the period 15 March to 31 May 1885; Rolls for the period April 1883 up to and including October 1885 are missing)

In my experience it is always best to have a look and not rely on the description.

Ken

Offline Emma08

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 March 15 00:02 GMT (UK) »
OK thanks for all that Ken. Very helpful. I will see what I can find.

Offline JohnDavies12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 March 15 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Yes I am trying to find out where he came from. I posted about him on here a few months back and managed to get his army number but I still can't find much else about him.

His name was Henry Stewart. His number was 2723. He was a staff sergeant farrier.
He served in India for a few years during the late 1890s, where he also married and had children.
Then it seems he was killed during the Boer War in 1900.

I know his father's name was Walter Stewart. And I may have tracked down a half sister... But that's it.

There seem to be strong links to Ireland for him. His wife was Irish and possibly his mother.

He was born approx 1867.

If I could find out his nationality or even when he enlisted that would really help.

He was my great great grandfather.

Not specifically what you're looking for but I have found he was a Staff Sergeant Farrier and he actually died of desease on 13/02/1900

This is from The Boer war medals to British and Commonwealth forces 1899-1902 which is an exclusive collection on Forces War Records.

Offline JohnDavies12345

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 March 15 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Oh, he was also awarded the clasps:

Elandslaagte

Defence Of Ladysmith