Author Topic: Looking for parents of Thomas Lonie (maybe Auchterlonie)  (Read 3789 times)

Offline enelya5115

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for parents of Thomas Lonie (maybe Auchterlonie)
« on: Wednesday 18 March 15 13:23 GMT (UK) »
I've hit a dead end in my family tree search. Looking for the parents of Thomas Lonie (possibly Auchterlonie). He would've been born in approximately 1832. He married Margaret Campbell in 1857 in Labert, Stirling, and then remarried to Christine Morrison around 1880 and lived in Falkirk. I think he died around 1890, but have found no death certificate-- he's just not listed in the 1891 census, but his wife is.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for parents of Thomas Lonie (maybe Auchterlonie)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 13:31 GMT (UK) »
His two marriage certificates will give the names and details of his parents, including whether they are still alive.

Offline SandyMcJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Quick check on Family Search threw up 2 possibilities one born 24 Aug 1832 in Kirkcaldy to John Lonie or Auchterlonie and Elizabeth Bonthron and the other born 14 June 1840 to Thomas Lonie and Betty Charles. Also a Henry Thomas Lonie born in Cupar 30 September 1832, parents John Lonie and Charlotte Kay. As GR2 says Marriage records should confirm.

Sandy

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi , welcome to RootsChat  :)

The 1881 Census transcription gives his birthplace as Abbotshaugh Stirlingshire but I'm wondering if that should be Abbotshall Fife ?

The 1851 Census transcription has a Thomas Lonie 18 lodger agricultural labourer born Kirkcaldy Fife ,
Census place Abbotshall Fife(FreeCen).

Scotlandspeople has a death for a Thomas Lonie 1885 Falkirk , Stirling , born c. 1834.

ev

Added -
Last listed was Thomas Lonie born 1823 died 1882 - married to Margaret Campbell born 24 July 1835 died ? -they were married 02 February 1857 in Bothkenner. Thomas' parents are listed on the wedding certificate as John Lonie (gardener) and Elizabeth Bonthrone. Margaret's parents are listed as John Campbell (deceased ploughman) and Margaret Wilson. No dates for parents
Ancestry messageboard.
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline enelya5115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, that's helpful!

It looks like Margaret and Thomas Lonie name one of their daughters Elizabeth Bonthron Lonie, so I think it's most likely Thomas' parents are Elizabeth Bonthron and John Auchterlonie. I've found the marriage records on Ancestry.com, but it's index only (no picture) and they don't list parents. I probably need to find another source for the marriage records.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I've found the marriage records on Ancestry.com, but it's index only (no picture) and they don't list parents. I probably need to find another source for the marriage records.

See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
This may be completely the wrong person ......

Listed in Camelon (Falkirk) Cemetery Burial Registers:
Section B, Lair 786
Widow Christina Lonie or Morrison, age 52
Buried 18th December 1894. (Date of death would be a few days previous obviously)
Address is listed as Grahams Road (Falkirk)
Cause of death: Dropsy

There are an additional 3 burials in the same lair - all surnames Steel. (James age 32 in 1877, James, son of deceased James age 17 in 1885 and Janet age 4 weeks in 1902)

I realise this might be going off at an unwanted tangent, but this may have been Christina's 1st husband and possible son.

There are a few Thomas Lonie/Auchterlonies, but none around the same age as one who would be born in the 1830's.

Anne  :)

Offline enelya5115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 March 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Anne, thank you! Yes, Christine would be my gg grandmother. Her first husband and children with him were named Steel. I knew she died and my g grandfather was orphaned when he was young, but I didn't know when she died (my g grandfather would've been 10). That's very helpful! Thank you!