Author Topic: Macpherson of Inverness maried Gauld of Auldearn  (Read 5940 times)

Offline craig1148

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Macpherson of Inverness maried Gauld of Auldearn
« on: Wednesday 18 March 15 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello, 
I have been searching, for some time, for parents of Ann(i)e Mc/MacPherson born sometime within the years1815-1821 in Inverness.  Records indicate that she married Alexander Gauld (born 1817 Auldearn, son of Alexander Gauld and Catherine Duffus), 1838, Inverness.  (Marriage record has the surname as Gall. This is a somewhat common corruption of Gauld.) The best that I have been able to do is to find the following three candidates. It is certainly possible that none of these three was Alexander’s wife.  So, I am asking if anybody has any evidence confirming that one of the three women is the person I am seeking information regarding or, did he marry some other Anne Macpherson who is not on the list.  Even something that eliminates one of the three would be a step forward. Any and, all help would be greatly appreciated. T.I.A.

Possibilities for the Annie Macpherson that was the wife of Alexander Gauld:

1. Bapt.: 19 Feb. 1819, Inverness
               Parents: John Mc Pherson and Mary Mcintosh
           2. Bapt.: 6 Jan. 1815, Inverness
               Parents: Donald Mc Pherson and Margaret Kennedy
           3. B: 12 Aug. 1821, Inverness
               Bapt.: 22 Aug. 1821, Inverness
               Parents: George Mc Pherson and Margaret Reid

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Macpherson of Inverness maried Gauld of Auldearn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Did Annie die from 1855 onwards?  If so - her death cert will show her parents names and mothers maiden name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 15 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi , and welcome  :)

Just wondering if Alexander and Ann went to Canada ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 15 10:26 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 census has Alexander and Ann in Nairn with what looks like daughter Margaret age 10 months and a Jessie McPherson age 15, who could like a relative of Ann's. According to the Scottish naming pattern, the first daughter was named for the wife's mother, so there's a strong chance Ann's mother was called Margaret.

According to the 1851 census the second son was called Daniel, and second sons were named for the wife's father. Daniel and Donald were interchangeable names in Scotland, so the Ann with parents Donald and Margaret looks the most likely candidate if the Scottish naming pattern was used.

Not 100% positive proof, however.

AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline craig1148

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 15 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so very much for your replies. I will respond to each in the order in which they were sent.

1.) Carole:  Annie died in Ontario, Canada during 1898.  I have a copy of her death registration.  No parents listed.

2.) ev:  From the above you can see that yes, they did.  They immigrated to Canada sometime between the time that the 1851 Scotland census was taken and 1854/55 (the possible years of the birth of their seventh child John Irvine Gauld).  On the 1911 Canada census their son William has the year as 1852.

3.) JM:  I had no idea that Donald and, Daniel were interchangeable.  That puts a whole new light on candidate #2.  One thing I need to point out is that Daniel was not their second son.  Their first  son was Alexander 3a.  So I can keep them straight, I find it easier to refer to the husband of
Catherine Duffus as Alex 1.  Annie’s husband as Alex 2 and, so on.  The “a” is because Alex 3a  must have died prior to June 1841 and, several years later Alex 2 and Annie reused the name for  their eighth child.  Thus, their second son was the William mentioned in #2 above.  Consequently,  Daniel was their third son. On the other hand, they most certainly could have slightly altered the
Scottish naming convention.   As for Margaret, I strongly agree with you on Annie’s mother’s name being Margaret.  Annie’s daughter Margaret’s full name was Margaret McPherson Gauld. She was my 3xgreat grandmother.  As a side note, the order that I listed the three candidates in the original post was what I would have guessed to be the least likely to the most likely.  I did not mention this because I did not want to influence anyone.  There are a few interesting coincidences regarding the daughter of George and Margaret Reid.  Finally, besides the Jessie you mentioned, I have found three other census records (1841 Scotland, 1861 Canada, 1871 Canada) that have a McPherson female living with Alex1, Alex 2, or Margaret (and her husband).  All born in Scotland.

Again, my thanks to all.

Regards,
Craig

Offline craig1148

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Macpherson of Inverness mrd. Gauld of Auldearn--Update
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
 Possibility number three from my first post must be eliminated by the following.
 On the website “dustydoc”, I found records for the Parish of Glamis.  Under the list of parish ministers, there is the following entry,

“John Alexander Castlemaine Tannoch”   1844-1872   “…mar. 1844 Anna, dau. of Capt. George Macpherson, R.N.; issue: Margaret Macpherson; Jane Reid (mar. William Waddell, min. of Fern); … ; Geo. Macpherson”

Those descended from Niel Macpherson, Tacksman at Tirfogrean; James Macpherson, Factor of Cawdor; George Macpherson, Captian Royal Navy, may find this worthwhile to explore further.

As for me, the only known viable possibility is number 2 , Donald McPherson and, Margaret Ken(n)ady. I found enough name coincidences, other than those mentioned in previous posts, to feel that the probability is high enough for me to have enough confidence to “believe” that Donald and Margaret were the parents of Ann McPherson, wife of Alexander Gauld 2.  Of course, there is always that chance that there are possibilities I have been unable to find. 

Thanks to all who have replied and/or viewed my posts.

Offline craig1148

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 June 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
Past experience has proved that sometimes errors occur during the process of transcribing information from original documents.  The instance that is the basis of this post was one where an ancestor’s occupation was listed a “tailor”. But, when looking over the image of the actual document I discovered that a word which obviously started with the letter “s” was exactly the same letter that the ancestor’s occupation started with.   Thus, he had not been a tailor but instead, a sailor. I must admit, I would have made the same mistake.  Taken by itself, the first letter certainly looked like the letter “t”.

The purpose of this post is that the exact same error may have been made in the occupation of a different ancestor. I would like to know if anyone has access to the images of the Scotland 1841 and/or 1851 censuses.  Unfortunately, the only sources I have for Scotland’s censuses are all transcriptions.  If you are able and, willing to help, below you will find the following individuals listed.  The individual whose occupation I would like to verify is Donald Mcpherson.  The location (“Place”) of census is Inverness, Inverness-shire for both.

1841 Census                                             1851census

Donald Mcpherson                                   Donald Mcpherson
Magt Mcpherson                                      Magt Mcpherson
Eliza Mcpherson

Thank you for your time and, consideration.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline emphilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I am a descendant of Alexander Gauld and Ann MacPherson through their daughter Margaret MacPherson (Gauld) Dick. I also have a copy of Alexander’s 1894 death registration which you have. You were correct the first time in interpreting his profession as tailor.  It is easy to understand the doubt, based on the handwriting. The “t” in merchant tailor does look similar to the capital “S” in Scotland. The notice of his death in the London Ontario Free Press, 1 Nov 1894, reports that he was a “prosperous merchant tailer.” (It looks to me like they used an “e” in tailor and not an “o”). He appears in the London, Ont. city directories from 1863/64 through at least 1883 as a merchant tailor with his shop located on Dundas Street.
It has been quite a few months since your posting, so perhaps you already know this information. It is very good to know that there are other relatives interested in tracing the family. (Alexander Gauld’s granddaughter, Annie MacPherson (Dick) Shaw is my great grandmother).

M.

Offline craig1148

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 January 16 19:04 GMT (UK) »
  Thank you very much for your post.  The directory listings certainly put an end to any questions regarding Alexander’s occupation.  No, I did not know of them.  I have, during the months since making my last post, been able to view copies of the original 1841 and 1851 Scotland censuses.  In addition, the marriage record of whom I believe to be Annie McPherson’s parents. I had exactly the same issues with her father’s occupation as I did with her husband’s. The bottom line is that after viewing the marriage record, there is no doubt that Annie’s father was also a tailor. Interesting, both men had the same occupation.  A connection? 

Many thanks,
Craig