Author Topic: Occupation: Stationer? James KING  (Read 7589 times)

Offline jkhansen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation: Stationer? James KING
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 March 15 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ammack..  I have that James KING was baptised  7 Mar. 1813, Wiltshire  but still in doubt, is my great, great granddad.

On his death notice: is written - son of John KING, (Cabinetmaker), born: Dalston, Eng. marr. in London, at 21 yrs. to Elizabeth LEDGER. (I have marriage proof).

James and his family came to NZ in 1849 on the ship, 'Mariner. Occupation: Bricklayer & labourer!  His occupation in connection with 2 of his children's birth, was written: 'Stationer'.

One thing I do know of, is that James King's sister Ann, came to NZ. ca. 1851, an elder, unmarried sister, born in 1798, Warborough, Oxford, Engl. She died in 1881 and buried next to her brother, James KING in NZ. I have not found her birth details (yet).
JKH

Angus County Scotland, Ford, Meikle, Pullar
Caven County, Ireland - Crosby, Kirr
England: Hodson(Bristol) and Flooks
NZ - Ford, Hodson, Sutton
Canada, USA, Denmark ..

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 March 15 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Dalston is a district in North-East London, in the borough of Hackney.

Possibly?
Baptism, Christ Church, Spitalfields, Middlesex
25th March 1810  James King, son of John (Soldier) of Farthing Street by Hannah
Born 1st March 1810

Spitalfields is just 2 miles from Dalston!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 March 15 09:26 GMT (UK) »
I have that James KING was baptised  7 Mar. 1813, Wiltshire
On his death notice: is written - son of John KING, (born: Dalston, Eng.

If you had posted all those details initially it would have saved me a "wild goose chase"  ???
Your original post
James KING was born (parents John & Hannah JAMES); either Dalton? Wiltshire?
That looked as though the name of "Dalton" in Wiltshire may have been a question & looked to have been a small area but now reading DALSTON, England gives a whole new meaning as originally it looked to be the one area of "Wiltshire"  ::)

Anyway, KGarrad has advanced  ;D & I would like to say I actually lived a "stones throw" from Dalston Junction in the 1970's for a short time  :P

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 March 15 09:30 GMT (UK) »

Have deleted this as it was a double post (comp playing up)  ::) ::)

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline jkhansen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 March 15 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, 'the wild goose chase'!  My mistake when I wrote Dalton instead of Dalston. I am not from England but no excuse though! Thanks for your answers, KGarrad and Annie.

I don't think is the James King I am looking for, because he was baptised in the Baptism Christ Church. In NZ, James and other family members were buried in the 'Wesleyan' block.
King/Sutton branch - NZ
JKH

Canada, USA, Denmark ..

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 20 March 15 12:46 GMT (UK) »
 ???

I thought I stated clearly he was baptised in Christ Church?

Wikipedia article on Christ Church, Spitalfields here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_Church,_Spitalfields

Extensively used by dissenters!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 20 March 15 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, 'the wild goose chase'!  My mistake when I wrote Dalton instead of Dalston. I am not from England

We are not likely to search in Middlesex when the message clearly states Wiltshire & those "?'s" looked like you were not too sure of the spelling. The distance between both is a long distance  ;D

I don't think is the James King I am looking for, because he was baptised in the Baptism Christ Church. In NZ, James and other family members were buried in the 'Wesleyan' block.
King/Sutton branch - NZ
JKH

I am not from England either and it would not matter what part of the world we are helping with...............we still need to know areas & where there is doubt a bit info. to state so rather than a "?" which looked like a possible spelling mistake  ???

Our searches can bring up worldwide info. but we need direction to begin with & it could be someone from Timbucktoo who is helping  ;D

Doesn't matter where the researcher comes from/lives...............it's the info. you provide which is relevant as we can find info. worldwide with the proper info. to locate it  ???  ;D  ::)

Annie

P.S. One of the worst things for me is when a US name is added with 2 initials such as PA...........and I actually don't know whether that is Pennsylvania/Philadelphia or whatever? I always have to check a list of US names........................why they can't type the name beats me as it would save us so much time & get them the info. in less time...................we are not MAPS  ;D

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 March 15 14:23 GMT (UK) »
King/Sutton branch - NZ

Are you saying your James King was not baptised in Christ Church ?

What is the significance of this as we don't know every burial place worldwide? nor what the difference is here  ??? Can you please elaborate with your requests to make things more to the point  ::)

Annie

Offline jkhansen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 March 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Ouch - I misread the word, 'Baptism' for 'Baptist!  James King was buried as a Methodist in a NZ cemetery.
JKH
Canada, USA, Denmark ..