Author Topic: Ivy Hair Masters b 25 Mar 1892 London  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ivy Hair Masters b 25 Mar 1892 London
« on: Thursday 19 March 15 09:53 GMT (UK) »
The above married Frank Sidney Ritchie (b 4 Oct 1885 London) and had a son, John b 11 Sep 1917 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia at the European hospital and a daughter, June b 1919 in Hong Kong.
I assume that she married Frank in Malaysia or on board ship as I can find no marriage records in the UK, Australia or NZ.
Is there any way of finding their marriage?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy Hair Masters b 25 Mar 1892 London
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 15 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hey there,

Do you know what Frank's occupation was? Was he army/navy?  (either career or just during WWI?)

http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/
Singaporean newspapers often carried information of British bmds in the wider area.
 here I can find notes of the births of a son, and of a daughter, as you mention:
http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/singfreepressb19170914-1.2.12.1.aspx
http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/singfreepressb19190403-1.2.8.1.aspx
(the OCR is not perfect so the marriage might be also mentioned)

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/passenger-lists-leaving-uk-1890-1960
 there's also an "I. Masters" b. 1892 heading to Singapore in 1916 listed here, which if this is her does narrow down the date of marriage at least.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 15 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi jorose,
Thank you for narrowing down their daughter's birth date and finding the relevant places to look.
I don't know what Frank did for a living but am hoping to find out soon.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 15 15:27 GMT (UK) »
"Mount Estate, Kuala Lumpur", mentioned at the birth of their son, appears to have been at some point a coffee plantation:
http://www.rsgc.com.my/Heritage-History.htm

Mr F. S. Ritchie is mentioned here as present at a meeting of the Kuala Lumpur Planter's Association:
http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/newspapers/Digitised/Article/straitstimes19160502-1.2.3.aspx

There is no sign of the marriage in the consular registers but I don't think that rules out a marriage in a local Anglican church (not sure where those records would have ended up).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 15 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi jorose,
Thank you for that information.
Regarding Frank's occupation, according to one of his descendants:

he had a lot of jobs.  He was in Kuala Lumpur managing a rubber plantation called Borang M.  They left for Canada because he wanted the children to be educated in Canada.  He tried farming, customized trucks but didn't seem to have a great talent for business.
Cr

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 March 15 21:13 GMT (UK) »
there is a tree on A*****y which gives the marriage as 11 Sept 1917 Sydney New South Wales Australia

but that is also the date the son was born ???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi suzard, yes mine said that too but as it's obviously wrong that's why I'm asking about it here.
Cr

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 16:21 GMT (UK) »
The Miss I Masters on the Mishima Maru passenger manifest in October 1916 was travelling with Mrs I Masters aged 57.

Ivy Hair Masters's mother was Isabel so that fits. Passenger lists reported in the Straits Times list these two as Mrs J J Masters ( Ivy's father was James John Masters) and Miss J H Masters (presumably the J is a mistyped I).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ShaunJ that certainly narrows down her marriage to between Oct 1916-Sep 1917. Perhaps she went there to marry him as their son was born soon after her arrival in Singapore.
Cr