Author Topic: Samuel Duffield b 1795  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Duffield b 1795
« on: Thursday 19 March 15 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Please can anyone help or point me in the right direction to find more about Samuel Duffield .    He was born in 1795  South Normanton Derbyshire .     I have just found records which tell of his transportation    .He was convicted of desertion at St James Court 22 / 11 /1821  .Sent to the Hulk Justitia at Woolwich ,  then transported on the vessel Prince of Orange  22 / 3 /1822 to Tasmania  Van Diemans Land .
                                I would like to find what Regiment he was in and  any other information leading up to his desertion   Where would I find this  ?   Many thanks Tineke

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Duffield b 1795
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 15 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do not wish to put a damper on this, however on all the Records for Samuel Duffield his birth is
abt 1793 even when he marries in Australia September 1841 his age is given as 49 so born abt 1892.

Do you have evidence that the christening in 1795 is for the same Samuel Duffield who was transported?

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Tineke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Duffield b 1795
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 15 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply   I have looked at all the records and every one has his birth date as an estimate  as in the English census , so can make allowances for that  In the  Convict  Ships Muster Rolls  it  gives place of origin as Derbyshire  I have searched 1841 census for England and there is no sign of a Samuel Duffield  .   
                       I have a relative in Australia who is now researching records there .  I wanted to find information on his earlier life to see if  it was any help   Regards Tineke