Author Topic: bynah (abigail) pilcher  (Read 4944 times)

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bynah (abigail) pilcher
« on: Thursday 19 March 15 13:49 GMT (UK) »
hi all
i was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas on the following

my great great aunt bynah pilcher was born in tramore waterford ,i have 2 records for birth for her
1/ bynah pilcher born 2.9/1872 reg date 23/9/1872 by father stephen pilcher
2/abigail pilcher bapt 22/9/1872 both certs same address

3/ 1901 census - bynah pilcher barronstrands st waterford working as a draper born waterford
4/ 1911 census - abigail pilcher melrose st antrim visitor working as draper assistant born waterford

i can find no marriage cert but i know she married martin bourke ,im not sure when but i know that they must have known each other in waterford ,he emigrated to canada very early 1900 s and she went out to be with him after her mother died 1906 ,but i know she was still in ireland 1911 census

5/i have a death cert for her - abigail pilcher it says 22/9/1880 ,but i think that though the day is right her husband martin may not have known the year (or she fibbed)

2750 waterloo st canada for 51 years
husband - martin bourke
father - stephen pilcher
mother - mary pilcher ..........these names are all correct

died vancouver 27/10/1963 in ocean view burial park

6/martin bourke died 24/1/1973 vancouver canada age 91
born 8/10/1881 killorgin killarney kerry
widowed - wife abigail pilcher
father - martin bourke
mother -ellen o neill

now i know all the info above is true ,i have photo s of them both and letters written to my nan ,they re great niece
im just confused as to the connection between the names bynah and abigail ,they dont sound or look that similar ,and as to the bith reg and bapt cert i would have thought if any it would have been bynah on the bapt cert rather than abigail as they were catholics ,maybe there was a st abigail ??
one other connection though is this ,her mothers maiden name was mary verling and her parents names were william verling and abigail keefe ,they were all from cobh cork ,could the fact that her grandmothers name was abigail have any bearing on the matter

any theories most welcome

thanks for reading cathie :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: bynah (abigail) pilcher
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:24 GMT (UK) »
There are a few results for Byna* in 1901 and 1911 but the one you are looking for is Binah Pilcher in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Waterford/Waterford_No__1_Urban/Barronstrand_St_/1760861

and she is certainly Abigail in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor/Melrose_Street/154124
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:37 GMT (UK) »
hi there

i dont mean to sound cheeky but i know where she is on the 2 census s ,i put down that info in my post ,its the why s and why for s  over her christian name that im looking for answers or potential reasons as to why

im only saying this as often on sites where i post a topic i get people looking up info and wasting their time on things that i have already put down in my post deliberately so as to let people see what info i already have ,but a do appreciate your help :)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked at the records on one site which shows the birth record as
Waterford 1872 Bynah PILCHER Waterford Q-V14 P900
I am presuming that the certificate you have is this

However I cannot locate an Abigail
there is a baptism record of Bynah PILCHER
dau of Stephen and Mary VERLING
bap. Sep 02 1872, Tramore, Waterford, Ireland
but this is a transcription so I cannot say if there is a reference to any other name
Where does your baptism information come from? could it be mis-transcribed?

From my experience Bynah tends to be from Sabina, I have not come across a connection with Abigail

I have however come across people who assumed names that were not recorded on their birth or baptism
One assumed Louise (as it sounded posher) while she worked in a hat shop in the 1930-1950 era;
and one Beatrice when she arrived in a America to "not sound Irish" in the 1920s.

Perhaps this is what occurred with Bynah when she was in the drapery shops
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you posted information on the census records but I put on the links to make it easier for others to see the records themselves. Also, to point out she's Binah not Bynah in the 1901 census.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 15 15:08 GMT (UK) »
Just to also add

There is a family tree accessible on ancestry if you have a subscription that follows Bynah's brother John b. 1870 who emigrated to the US
It shows that he had a daughter ALBINA MARY in 1906 and states she was known as "Binah"
This may have been a family name and the Abigail an error in transcription
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 March 15 16:46 GMT (UK) »
hi again

yes the fam tree on ancestry is my family ,i am in touch with them ,but they dont know why she has a name change so often ,its not just in later life
its from roots ireland bapt record that has her down as abigail ,same parents date and address and yes it is spelt binah on the 1901 census ,but on her letters sent to my nan she puts herself as bynah
theres 3 birth records on family search all for her down as bynah and all her

does anyone think the fact that her nan was called abigail plays any part in her name change

and i do apologise if i sounded rude before ,but probs like most of you im sick of dead ends :(

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 March 15 16:59 GMT (UK) »
ps i should just point out that the letters and photos sent to my nan are from the 1940 s and 50 s so she is still calling herself bynah then ??

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 March 15 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Abigail (in various spellings) would have been used for Catholic girls in Waterford- 13 Abig* in 1901 census (12 Catholic, 1 Church of Ireland). Gobnait is used as an Irish form of the name and according to this article St. Gobnait is the patron saint of beekeepers.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gobnait

Interestingly enough, Bynah also has a connection to bees-
http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Bynah/f