Author Topic: Galashiels Mill records  (Read 3375 times)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Galashiels Mill records
« on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:03 GMT (UK) »
A lot of my family members worked in the mills in Galashiels - does anyone know if there are any records anywhere for mill employees? I would really like to know which of the mills they worked in.
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Galashiels Mill records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Suek I would try the Old Gala Club  and also the BordersFHS. I seem to remember one of them having been given some Mill records but remember there were dozens of woollen mills in Galashiels.
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 March 15 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Alan - I've just been up to the Borders FHS and asked them while I was there, but the people I spoke to weren't aware of any, there or at the Gala Club. I know there were a lot of mills, and it would be very lucky to find records from the right mill, but then I did have quite a few of the family work in a number of different mills at different times, so you never know :) I did hear that there may be some in the National Archives, but haven't come across any.
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline barbara13511

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 May 15 13:09 BST (UK) »
There us a General Register for Wilderhaugh Mill at Borders FHS.  Is this of interest. 

Barbara
Volunteer Researcher

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 May 15 13:34 BST (UK) »
Try contacting the Heritage Hub in Hawick or the Library HQ at Mary's Mill Selkirk - sometime they get company records donated to them when businesses close. barring that try the National Archive or the National Library for Scotland in Edinburgh

Worth a try

Offline mwatson59

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 May 15 13:16 BST (UK) »
Another thought - I think some of them might have been given to the Textile College as it was then so maybe give Heriot Watt at Netherdale a ring?