Author Topic: Robert Baker - Brome  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Demarchye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Baker - Brome
« on: Friday 20 March 15 14:52 GMT (UK) »
I have hit a brick wall trying to trace the birth/baptism and death/burial of my 3x Great Grandfather Robert Baker.

He married Rebecca Cook at Mellis on 25 November 1817 and the grooms parish was given as Brome. His first child Edward was born in Brome in 1819 and on his baptism entry his fathers occupation is given as servant.

His second child Catherine Susan was baptised at Thornham Parva on 27 Sep 1823. Unfortunately this entry does not include a fathers occupation, however on 5 April 1825 Robert Baker was appointed Overseer of the Poor in Thornham Parva being a substantial householder in the parish.
So in six years he went from servant to substantial householder - but how? I suspect a legacy from family or an employer but no proof of this.

The following year he appeared in the Bury and Norwich Post on 22 March being an executor to his brother in law, Grimwood Cooke, and this gives his occupation as farmer.

In 1830 he sold up having bought the White Horse Inn in Finningham. Just three years later the White Horse is being run by a different person so between 1830 and 1833 he lost his business and home - again I have no idea how or why.

He appears on the 1841 Finningham Census separate to his wife and children. He is listed with three boys all with the surname Hubbard (I presume brothers).
This is the only census I have seen including Robert Baker. The 1851 census shows his wife Rebecca Baker visiting her sister in Docking. She gives her status as married but that could be a mistake. Ten years later Rebecca is living with her son, Edward, still with a status of married.
She died 27 May 1861 and her death certificate shows her as the widow of Robert Baker, Innkeeper. Her headstone also stated she was the widow of Robert Baker late of this parish.

I had been working on the premise that Robert had died between 1841 and 1861 but have had no success in tracing a burial for him. I'm now wondering if the Robert Baker on the 1841 census is the husband of Rebecca - it's a common name and listed separately to his wife and children. But again no luck in tracing a burial for him

Any help, ideas or information most appreciated.

Many thanks, Demarchye

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Baker - Brome
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 15 18:07 GMT (UK) »
Just for information - have you looked at the image of the 1841 census for Robert, as his wife is on the same page.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 March 15 18:30 GMT (UK) »

He appears on the 1841 Finningham Census separate to his wife and children. He is listed with three boys all with the surname Hubbard (I presume brothers).

I see that the Hubbard boys were Thomas 14, John 13 & George 9.

Possible overlap then with these baptisms:

31 Dec 1833, Finningham, Suffolk

John, George and William HUBBARD, sons of John & Mary.

I don't have access to any more information, though there may be more detail on the parish record.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 15:04 BST (UK) »
Robert Baker does not appear in the burials at Finningham prior to 1861, when his wife's d/certificate states she's the widow of Robert.

Some Baker burials at Finningham which may or may not help  ::)

27th Oct 1848 Charles Robert Baker aged 5 weeks
6th Dec 1849 Frederick Henry Baker aged a few weeks
4th Nov 1850 Sarah Ann Rebecca Baker aged 7 years
4th March 1855 Elizabeth Baker aged 77
13th Feb 1856 James Whistler Baker aged 3 years
2nd June 1861 Rebecca Baker aged 74