Author Topic: Elizabeth Rollinson Maguire  (Read 2043 times)

Offline ericwmaguire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Rollinson Maguire
« on: Friday 20 March 15 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I am trying to trace my aunt Elizabeth who was born in Biggar, Scotland on 11/10/1905
and sailed to Quebec arriving on 19/11/1927. She was heading for Braeside, Ontario.
I have no further info other than she visited my parents in Glasgow, Scotland in the 1950's with her husband--sorry no married name.
Thanks
Eric

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Rollinson Maguire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 15 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to RootsChat

Can you remember the Christian name of her husband ?  Were there any other relatives in Canada ? Could you perhaps be a little more specific what year she might have visited ?  Any clue no matter how small might help, its a little like looking for a needle in a haystack.
There are no Central registries/indexes in Canada for BMDs.  Canada has very strict privacy laws and each province imposes its own even further.  Additionally, some provinces are more research friendly than others so researching in Canada can be challenging.  As a guide BMD Records are only available for births more than a 100 years ago, marriages 85 years ago (They are up to about 1929 at the moment)  Its not impossible but you can see from that how tight the privacy laws make it in trying to get information  :'(

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ericwmaguire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 15 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately thats all the info I had re her canadian travels etc. Both my parents are dead
and there was no paperwork re her.
She was my father's sister and was born in Biggar, Lanarkshire, Scotland in 1905.
I know its like looking for a needle in a haystack but she is the last piece in my jigsaw
puzzle.
I have just traced her brother to New Zealand so I have a new found family there.
So here's hoping.
Regards
Eric.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 15 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

It looks like the Canadian contact listed on the passenger list is a Mrs Olive Gillien of Braeside.  I wonder if that name could be a lead of some sort?

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=63s021dp3f0hsl5r61ua4m2k72&sqn=146&q2=12&q3=891&tt=625 

RK

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 15 15:17 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 15 22:49 GMT (UK) »
The Gillies family at Braeside near Arnprior, Renfrew County, Ontario were lumber barons in the Ottawa Valley up until the 1960's when they sold the business.

This link may be of some help to you:

http://www.adarchives.org/

Good luck.