Author Topic: James Crosbie Westmeath  (Read 3297 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
James Crosbie Westmeath
« on: Friday 20 March 15 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if any one can help me but I'm looking for birth information for James Crosbie.
I have quite a lot of info on his later life . Briefly he was in the East Indian Company Army, married in India (14/8/1837) to Albah Williams, and was admitted to Lord Clives Military Fund (pension) due to length of service in 1843.The admission papers state his place of origin was Westmeath. He died in India (probably around 1862)
His estimated year of birth - from his age on marriage - was 1806
To save effort I have all relevant details on his children, it is his birth and hopefully parents that I am trying to find.
I am not at all familiar with Irish records but I have tried FindMyPast, family search, and some other free Irish sites to no avail.

Can any Irish experts out there help please :)
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Crosbie Westmeath
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 15 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Ruth ref your query. www.nationalarchives.ie has Tithe Applotment records for Westmeath & has several entries for surname Crosbie.
www.rootsireland.ie (pay to view site) has Baptism/Marriage records for Meath. You will not find civil  birth records in Ireland until Civil Registration in 1864 so you will have to rely on Baptism.
Good luck with your search. :) www.nationalarchives.ie also has Griffith Valuation records for westmeath & is showing a James Crosbie mid 1800's maybe it will give you idea of Parish/townland that may connect to your James. :)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 March 15 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
On his marriage cert. does it state his fathers name?
There are 4 James Crosbie's in Westmeath.
need his name please.
Maggsie

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 March 15 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both.
Unfortunately, the  Indian marriage record does not show his father's name, although it does show his wife's parents! GRRR. !!!
I had seen the Tithes entries (FindMyPast has these) but not being familiar with these records I couldn't see how this would help. I suspect that James joined up and left Ireland as soon as he was old enough.
Next step will be to buy credits and check out the baptism records as you advised to see if I can find a clue.
My other thought was to try and find his attestation papers or a shipping list to see when he went out to India but I've exhausted all the ones I can find! (FIBIs, FindMyPast etc.)
Once again thank you for your help.

Ruth

Thank you both for your help
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 March 15 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I went to the Indian marriages. definitely 1806 for his birth.
Ok,
the James Crosby born in 1806 in Westmeath, was 1st November 1806, in a place called Coole.
to Thomas Crosby and Bridget Flanighan.
Their marriage was spelt Crosbie
1st February 1806 Thomas's address was Turbotstown Westmeath.
James also had a brother John born 21st September 1808.

The other James Crosbie's were 1801, 1808 and 1809.
so 1806 seems to be the one. (I would say anyway)
If you have a look at the Tithe Applotments you will see James Crosbie in 1828 in Coole, it also says the Parish of Mayne. More than likely his father had passed on, this is the earlier Tax list before Grifiths Valuation.
I hope this has helped.
Maggsie

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 March 15 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Maggsie this looks really promising  :)
I'll keep chipping away .
James would be my 3xggrandfather!
The brickwalls are slowly crumbling.
When you get this far back I suppose it has to be mainly supposition, although I have been able to source other branches (in England through wills etc),
Unfortunately for one of my other forebears in India (born 1831), his mother is named on his baptism as a "native woman" so I'm completely stalled there!

Ruth

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 March 15 17:12 GMT (UK) »
keep digging you will get there.
M