Author Topic: DBSIG: British Home Children.  (Read 47446 times)

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DBSIG: British Home Children.
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you janetm - very interesting!

I have found this listing - https://personal.uwaterloo.ca/marj/genealogy/children/manitoban.html

This shows all the children - quite a few, mostly from Scotland.

I will take a look at the details and this should be added to the database in the near future.

Any nearer to adding these children ?
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 17 August 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hello James

Re Elizabeth WINKLE

Feel free to send me a PM (private message) by clicking on my username. Happy to add any further information you'd like to share - unfortunately as you have discovered there is a character limit for adding notes to the pages. Please include sources if possible.

Perhaps start a new post in the message boards about this family, wherever you feel appropriate e.g. Canada to find other interested people.

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 17 August 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hello janetm

No sorry. I need to locate a source that is not subject to copyright.

Also I do this in my spare time, which has been limited by work and theatre commitments lately!

I promise not to forget  the children of the Manitoban :)

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 17 August 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
The 1881 Scottish Census shows all the children as they were aboard the SS Manitoban (Registration district: Shipping At Sea)
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline James Abinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 17 August 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mollipops!
I really just wanted to know where the original post information came from 'Created : 2012-03-11 19:32:38 / From original database', since there is a lot of information listed here that my family was previously unaware of. I assume some of it's taken from the BHC landing records. But certain things like the 'marriage of Elizabeth in 1902 to John Alex Stewart, 35, laborer, born in Memphis, USA' are a mystery to us and would not have been included in the BHC records since it happened 19 years after her arrival in Canada. I wonder where this info came from?

I'd be happy to start a new post, but we already know about all of Elizabeth's Canadian relatives (my wife's mother's immediate family), so it's ones in the UK - possibly still living in Staffordshire -who we would like to track down. I suspect they have no idea of their relationship with Elizabeth, since her lineage was difficult to trace even using several different genealogy sources. We were greatly helped by Ian Winkle who is a very skilled family researcher.

Many thanks,

James

Offline mollipops1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 18 August 17 02:45 BST (UK) »

I really just wanted to know where the original post information came from 'Created : 2012-03-11 19:32:38 / From original database', since there is a lot of information listed here that my family was previously unaware of. I assume some of it's taken from the BHC landing records. But certain things like the 'marriage of Elizabeth in 1902 to John Alex Stewart, 35, laborer, born in Memphis, USA' are a mystery to us and would not have been included in the BHC records since it happened 19 years after her arrival in Canada. I wonder where this info came from?

James

There has since been another update by a 'guest' (not identified) who states this Elizabeth was actually born WINKER in Stoke upon Trent in 1875, not as WINKLE in 1876. This does seem to fit other information.

As for the marriage, I am not sure about the original database - perhaps Berlin-Bob can help?

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 18 August 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
I really just wanted to know where the original post information came from 'Created : 2012-03-11 19:32:38 / From original database', since there is a lot of information listed here that my family was previously unaware of.

Very exciting news!

In collaboration with the British Home Child Group International (BHCGI) a database of over 20,000 British Home Children (BHC) compiled by Norah Dennis will be added to the Database for Special Interest Groups - DBSIG.

A few hundred records will be added this weekend, so the BHC admins can test the data and layouts, before the rest of the records. Until the database is fully loaded, the add and edit buttons will be disabled.

Please see Berlin-Bob's thread for more information.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716206.0

And a link to the Database for Special Interest Groups

http://surname.rootschat.com/lexicon/dbsig/index.php

Karen

Nora Dennis had to give up the database and rather than see it all wasted, she asked RootsChat whether we would host the data - which we did :)

Over 21000 records have been added from the original database and we/you have been updating it since. Today we have  24262 entries in the BHC database.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline James Abinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 18 August 17 13:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mollypops and Berlin Bob.
I was the 'guest' who added a post to Elizabeth Winkle's profile yesterday. I am still trying to figure out how to use your site efficiently! I will be happy to add what additional information I have gathered about Elizabeth Winkle. The original data from Nora Dennis posted in March 2012 is certainly very interesting, but I admit to being mystified about the origin of some of the information.

James

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 25 August 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
I have added Walter Lotto to the database  ;D