Author Topic: McKenzies  (Read 3455 times)

Offline M_Schlegs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKenzies
« on: Friday 20 March 15 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I have been searching for my three times great grandfather Alexander McKenzie.  He was born in 1790 in Ross shire and married Ann who was born in 1793.  They had a son William, among others.  William was born in 1822 in Nairn.  Eventually, the family emigrated to Upper Canada.  Any information from that side of the pond would be wonderful!  There are just too many Williams and Alexanders to go through!

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
Re: McKenzies
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 March 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat! :)

To enable people to help you, we really need some more information :) As you have found
there are plenty by the name of Alexander McKenzie.
  1  When did Alexander and Ann emigrate?
  2  What was Ann's maiden surname?
  3  Do you have a copy of the OPR marriage details
Depending upon when they emigrated they may be able to be found in the 1841 census.

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 March 15 18:59 BST (UK) »
I have a similar problem. My two times gt grandfather Alexander McKenzie was supposedly born 19 Nov 1798, North Erradale. His father was supposed to be b abt 1785 Ross shire, died abt 1848, Melvaig; and his mother Jannet McDonald b abt 1781 Gairloch. If these are really his parents they married 14 Aug 1807 Gairloch,Ross and Cromarty,Scotland (Ineleoid)
(O.P.R. Marriages 066/00 0010 0118 GAIRLOCH)
I have looked and looked and found no proof except for Duncan and Jannet's marriage. and I have proof that Jannet died 17 Oct 1862, at Melvaig, and was buried 18 Oct 1862, Poolewe.
Alexander apparently went to Nova Scotia abt 1818, where he met Ann Fraser, supposedly born R&C abt 1802 to James Fraser and Barbara Cameron. The Frasers also went to Nova Scotia, and Alexander and Ann married there 25 Jul 1825.
There were apparently 12 other children, of which two girls and either one or two boys also went to NS. Alexander and Ann had 8 children, and the family left Nova Scotia for New Zealand on 24 Dec 1857 aboard the barque Breadalbane, arriving in Auckland 21 May 1858.
Did people have children before marriage in those days? In this case there were 4 children born before Duncan and Jannet married in 1807.
Any comments, advice, anything would be very much appreciated.
Regards
Jan Moon
Usually from Queensland, Oz but currently from Carlisle
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 March 15 23:46 BST (UK) »
kiwicatz

The marriage quoted might not be your couple, especially (if I'm reading it correctly) if the father was only 13 at the time of the first conception then he would have to wait until he was 16 years old before he could legally marry.    Presumably Alexander and Ann Fraser's first son was named Duncan and that's why you think 13 year old Duncan could be Alexander's father, when there's every chance that he could be a younger cousin, or a distant relation, or not related to Alexander.

This webpage gives a few reasons why records of a marriage might not be available:-

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline kiwicatz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mum, Vera Warren aged 7 at 32 Millais Rd Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 09:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Rena
Duncan's parents were supposedly Alexander McKenzie b abt 1742 and Margaret McKenzie b abt 1746, and Jannet's parents John McDonald and Catherine Matheson, from Janett's death/burial certificate. The current day people that live in Gairloch, Tain and Inverness accept this 'beginning' even though there's no proof. They just say it's passed down and don't seem to care about proof.
The original info came from family still in Gairloch, and seems to have just been accepted for years.
Thanks for the web page, I will read and get enlightened. This is so frustrating.
Regards
Jan
Enfield/Edmonton: Warren Ridler Jenkins Card Stevens Shelton Tookey
Stourpaine Dorset: Ball Haine/Hain/Hayne, Ferrett New Light Roberts Coward Read others
Ontario, Canada: Wallace Blow Goodson
Tampa, Florida: Goodson
Michigan: Coleman, Goodson
Newport Mon: Hopes, Evans Haines Ball Harris
Louth/Sleaford: Goodson Cartwright Crosby Burkitt Pacey + others
Norfolk Palmer, Smith, Moore
Ross Shire: McKenzie Fraser McDonald McLennan
Ayrshire: Wallace Patrick Dickson

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Rena
Duncan's parents were supposedly Alexander McKenzie b abt 1742 and Margaret McKenzie b abt 1746, and Jannet's parents John McDonald and Catherine Matheson, from Janett's death/burial certificate. The current day people that live in Gairloch, Tain and Inverness accept this 'beginning' even though there's no proof. They just say it's passed down and don't seem to care about proof.
The original info came from family still in Gairloch, and seems to have just been accepted for years.
Thanks for the web page, I will read and get enlightened. This is so frustrating.
Regards
Jan

I share your frustration as I've been having problems tracing my ancestor Donald MacKenzie born c1776 in Urray Parish, Ross & Cromarty.  Apparently, according to the archivist, the incumbent vicar went off in a huff and took some records with him.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke