Author Topic: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children  (Read 59054 times)

Offline enchiemeisie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 21 January 17 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Did you send Berlin Bob a message yesterday as suggested in another thread  - reply 6 ?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=763401.0

Quote :- If you still have a problem try sending Berlin Bob - Caretaker -  a pm to see if he can help you.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=655

Sandra

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I did, Sandra.  He replied and said he had added me and to log out and back in again.  I have done all of those things multiple times and it still does the same thing.  I have sent another message to Bob.  Thought I would ask again in case I am doing something wrong.

Savage
Staff
Foukes
Clay

Offline enchiemeisie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 21 January 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hooray!!! ;D

Finally, I managed to add.  Thank you Sandra and Bob. ;)
Savage
Staff
Foukes
Clay

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 21 January 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
That's great  ;)

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline annabananaphone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 15:16 BST (UK) »
Great to have this database.  To make additions or to add a new record, do I send you the information, or can I make the additions once I've added two postings to this forum?  Thanks,

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 01 June 17 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

Make another posting and you can then add your records directly.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline annabananaphone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 01 June 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
Ok, thanks for the quick reply, Bob.  Ann

Offline annabananaphone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 01 June 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
I am new to this forum, but have been researching my British Home Child relatives and the BHC's who lived in the homes of some of my ancestors/relatives.  I have a brick wall with one young lady, who was taken into my ggg uncle's home.  She appears as a 7 year old, in the 1911 Canadian census living with John and Minnie Wright as their adopted daughter, born in England (1904). Her name is shown as Hilda Wright.  She is still with them in the 1921 Canadian census, showing as their adopted daughter, aged 17, named as Amy Pegg, but all the other details match up.  When I did a search of birth registrations for "Amy Pegg" in England in 1904, I found a Hilda Amy Pegg, whose birth was registered in first quarter of 1904 at Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England. I am not completely sure these all line up, but I think I'm on the right track.  I'm also not completely sure she's a BHC, but I was alerted to the possibility when I saw a 7 year old girl, born in England, living with my relatives in Saskatchewan.  Does anyone know anything of this girl?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
Hello and a very warm welcome to RootsChat  :).

If you look very closely at that 1911 census record with Hilda at the Wrights, you can her date of birth is given as Dec 1904. This would suggest a possible registration in the Jan-Feb-Mar qtr of 1905. The GRO website now has mother's maiden names (mmn) from 1837 onwards in their index and there is an interesting entry for this qtr.....

Hilda Pegg mmn Wright
Mar qtr 1905 Mansfield 7B 87

Doesn't mean this is your Hilda but certainly suggests the possibility of a connection related to the Wrights of Saskatchewan. You would need to order the cert to see who the parents are and then see if the Wright mother fits into your family tree. I don't see a Pegg-Wright marriage at the moment. There is always the possibility the parents didn't actually marry, or the mother could have been widowed and married under a different name.

If little Hilda WAS related to the Wrights, I don't think she would have come to Canada as a BHC. That being said, I can't find her on a passenger list at the moment

Continuing......

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline annabananaphone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks for the welcome! I really appreciate your help regarding Hilda, but I don't think the GRO entry relates to her.  My Wright relatives didn't live in England at any point, but were in Ontario until 1905. They had 4 children of their own, two of whom died in infancy. My understanding is that they headed west in 1905, with their remaining teenage children (14 and 19 years old) to homestead. I thought Hilda might be a BHC, because she was really a bit young to be their child, and was noted as having come to Canada between the age of 3 and 7, but not with the Wrights, as they were living in Saskatchewan at that time.  It's a real brick wall, but I will persevere! Thanks so much for your suggestions though. They really are appreciated!