Author Topic: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children  (Read 58938 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Rootschat Database for British Home Children
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
Edited to add: had this typed when your post came through so decided to post it anyway.

Two marriages took place in Ontario in 1921 and 1923 that may be of interest. The residence for both brides at the time of marriage is given as Moose Jaw.

One appears to be for the daughter of John and Minnie Wright, linked here.....

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89ST-YQ2?i=241&cc=1784216

The other is for a Helen Hilda (WRIGHT) Pegg born 1904, and linked here.....

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G1PZ-71Q?i=949&cc=1784216

Problem is her birthplace is given as Moose Jaw so this may or may not be your Hilda. Her intended may have thought that was where she was born when he applied for the marriage licence. To complicate matters, there is another Hilda Pegg born in and living in Saskatchewan in at least the 1911 census. However, she was born in 1907 and her parents are Frank and Annie, which differs from the parents in the record above. So probably a different Hilda. If the Hilda in the marriage record is "your" Hilda, she certainly seems to use a few different names.

Anyway, I have put this second marriage up as food for thought.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline annabananaphone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much!  I was thinking the same, that her husband to be either thought that was her birth place, or as she was adopted at such a young age, perhaps she thought it was her birth place also.  From census records, it appears she went by "Hilda Wright" in the 1911 and 1916 census, then by 1921, was listed as Amy Pegg.  I wonder if she was told at some point between 1916 and 1921 that she was adopted, so decided to use her birth name?  She's a mystery -- there are several intriguing clues, such as listing her name as Helen Hilda (Wright) Pegg, but she seems to keep changing her first names around (if I have the right records).  Thank you again for all your help. A.

And I meant to add that the other marriage, showing John Wright and Minnie Hall as parents, is the marriage of their own daughter, Ethel May Susannah, who was born in 1886.  Thanks, A

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
Helen Hilda at least has Pegg parents listed that you can explore. It would be great if she turns out to be yours. On the other hand, finding out she isn't would also be a useful result.

I found it very interesting that both licences were taken out in Goderich Ontario. I wonder how the grooms and brides met each other.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline annabananaphone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder that too! :) Again, thanks so much for you help, A.

Offline BrianCarr

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 30 July 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
I just found your web page. Still trying to figure it out. I came across a posting in the British Home Children Group. The post was about someone looking for my husband's great grandmother Mildred Hare. It seems that Mildred is their great, great aunt. The post is from 2011 and I was wondering how do you connect with people on here?

Thanks Deb Carr

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 27 August 17 17:03 BST (UK) »

On behalf of "alanmack" I have just added 118 BHC children from the ship "Samaratian", landing in Canada in 1872.

See also
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=716206.msg6316918#msg6316918

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
And another 51 names, this time from the Manitoban, landing in Canada in 1881 !
Thanks to Mollipops1  :-*

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline janetm

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 28 September 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
For Walter Lotto on British Home Child Day
 WHY THE SUNFLOWER
(Flower that represents British Home Children)

Sunflowers are bright and inspire hope.

British Home Children came to Canada hoping for a brighter future.

As the sunflower grows until it is mature it will face the sun. In the morning it will face east and follow the sun throughout the day to be facing west at sundown.

British Home Children got off their ships in the east and most travelled west into all parts of Canada.

Sunflowers are very strong and can endure various environments

British Home Children had to be strong mentally, physically and emotionally and endured various living situations.

Sunflower seeds are encased in shells.

British Home Children on the most part kept their stories of their lives to themselves, encasing them within their hearts, minds & souls.

Sunflower seeds can be cracked open to reveal itself for others to share and appreciate.

British Home Children stories need to be cracked open, shared and appreciated.
All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline DFKBurr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you for setting up this very valuable resource for those researching British Home Children. I am already finding it very helpful.