Author Topic: Richard Hickman - Scotland and Shropshire  (Read 1158 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Hickman - Scotland and Shropshire
« on: Saturday 21 March 15 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have seen posts for a George Hickman Born 12/2/1804 Inveresk & Musselburgh, Midlothian.

From what I read its highly likely that George's Parents were married 6/4/1799 Canongate, Edinburgh.

1799 Banns/Marriage in Canongate has Richard Hickman as a Sergeant in the Shropshire Militia and Maria as daughter of Robert Gibson, coachman in Musselburgh.

However I cannot get any further back than the marriage for Richard and Maria parents.

I guess one of the problems is that we do not know where Richard/Maria originated from. The marriage is in Scotland but George appears to be living in the Shropshire area and has signed up for the local militia.

I have found one record on FindMyPast that may relate to 'my' Richrad Hickman, it is in the military records and states a Richard Hickman as a private who joined the 14th Dragoons on the 4/12/1804 (WO25 reference 896). Do we have a military records expert that could tell me if there would be additional information over and above the record details i have posted?

I was in a quandary what forum I should post this on Scotland, Shropshire or Military, but i will wait a couple of weeks and then try another forum if nothing comes from this post.

Many thanks for reading this

Best wishes

Eric