Author Topic: Death search 1873-1875 William Hagan, Londonderry, Ireland or farther afield?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline margymore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi  Can you point me in the right direction please?
I have narrowed death search for William Hagan( Hegan, O'Hagan etc) now to a 2 year range.
This is what i know: 
William Hagan married Sarah McGuire on 5/2/1866, he was aged 19 yrs she was 20 yrs old. - per microfilm of Gt James st, register -Coleraine Library.
He registered his son Thomas birth -born 23/2/1871 and recorded as the informant on 23/3/1871- (per LDS microfilm record)
He registered his son Christopher H birth -born 5/9/1873, and was recorded as the informant on 6/10/1873 (per LDS microfilm record)

He registered his son Thomas death on 9/10/1873 (though this son died on 14/12/1872 -almost a year previous) - William is recorded as present at death, and he was the informant - I bought Groni record.
He DID NOT register his sons death - Christopher Hetherington Hagan died  on 23/10/1875,   instead his mother Sarah registered the death on 24/10/1875 -I bought Groni record.

Newspaper notice of son Christopher H death "October 23, at his grandfathers residence, No2 St. Columbs Court, Londonderry.  Christopher Hetherington Hagan, aged 2 years, son of the late William Hagan. " per Londonderry Sentinel, 26 Oct, 1875.

So now i have a small range to search , ie -between 9/10/1873-23/10/1875 aged 26-28 yrs old.
Having searched Groni online death records - nothing jumps out.

So I decided to search Sentinel for death notices for this period.  Derry Central Library has these, but.. the 1974 microfilm is missing, they do have the original copies, and were very obliging in letting me look over them but there are about 50% of them missing. I searched what they did have but no results.
  I have paid for a few possible death records before but they have not proved fruitful. i am looking for something more certain. He is not buried with his wife or children at Derry City Cemetery. Presumbably he died away from home. He was a writing clerk for the railway.
Any suggestions would be welcome . thanking you in anticipation. Margymore

Hegan Hagan   gt James st pres church. Parish of Templemore Londonderry.
McGuire MaGuire, Templemore Derry Londonderry N. Ireland
Norris, Glendermott,  co l'derry,
McDevitt derry
Hagan, dromore co Down n. ireland
Pollock, Derry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death search 1873-1875 William Hagan, Londonderry, Ireland or farther afield?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 15 12:39 GMT (UK) »
He registered his son Thomas death on 9/10/1873 (though this son died on 14/12/1872 -almost a year previous) - William is recorded as present at death, and he was the informant - I bought Groni record.
I've seen strange dates on certificates but not this far out. GRONI's database does indeed list the date as 14 Dec.1872. I haven't looked at the actual certificate but is the date absolutely clear? What date does the cemetery give for burial? This looks as though the death was registered late 1873  ???
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRYZ-QPV

If he was connected with the railway it's possible he died elsewhere and was buried there. Our relatives from Derry that worked for the railway in various positions were in Enniskillen, Ballyshannon and Dundalk that I've found so far.

This William Hagan died 1872 Dublin North is a close match-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRTP-JXM
Glasnevin has a William Hagan, age 28, died 1872 which could be the same man.
http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/

I know the death of Thomas seems to be registered after the above death but in view of the inexplicable dates on Thomas' death certificate perhaps something to make a note of for now.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
Re: Death search 1873-1875 William Hagan, Londonderry, Ireland or farther afield?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 June 16 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Margymore, I have a friend who lived in Duke Street DerryLondonderry
in the 1950s, he knew a family Hagan who lived there the Father was called Daniel, he had a son called Daniel who was an electrician, and worked for a Company called Shannons in the City, a daughter called Philomela and another Son called Patrick or Patsy
Im not sure if this is of any help to you as my friend is in his late 80s and his memory is not the best.
I also had a Hagan in my Family she was from Draperstown Co Derry and married a John Somers from Limavady, they emigrated to Philadelphia and died there their descendants are still in Pa

best regards in your search
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down