Author Topic: margaret graham,s dad ?  (Read 10418 times)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: margaret graham,s dad ?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
Iv sent email to newcastle library to see if they have any info on who was living there in 1825 but doubt if they will have any info .. but i suppose its worth a try

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 02 April 15 14:29 BST (UK) »
forth street is in westgate of newcastle and close to st john,s church and railway .. what iv discoverd today is
my william graham married at st john westgate in 1827
my william [ who,s parents are in dispuite either william or edward ] i have parents as william and isabella norton all there 5 children including william baptised all saints newcastle
edward and isabell stephenson children martha , wilkliam , elizabeth all baptised st john newcastle the other 2 hannah and anthoney born gateshead cant find which church there baptisims
edward and isabella married 1800 at st john newcastle
williams childrenwere in westgate union workhouse in 1861 also last addres for william is dixons buildings westgate
the william age 18 burried st john newcastle living forth st also forth street goes into pottery lane my william was a painter glaser journeyman and edward was a painter not sure if in pottery or houses , i havent a glue where all this has taken me as theres still nothing on my william as to parent either edward or william  :-\

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 02 April 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
I wonder if you might be at the stage where rather than trying to prove that something is the case, you need to see if you can prove that it isn't.

What I mean is, you have two possible families, with fathers Edward and William. Working forwards, step by step, can you find what happened to all their children, and especially the ones called William? Can you find anything on either of these Williams that would definitely rule him out as being yours? You might need to look at the other children too - eg sometimes you find a niece or nephew in a census extract that you can use to tie possible children/families together.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 02 April 15 17:06 BST (UK) »
I have done that and came up with nothing at all but im going to look again and see if i missed any thing  . Iv tred to prove whos who belonging to william as in father .. all i can find is whats on hear ... williams marriage doesnt name parents and all trees iv searched on ancestry have williams parents as william and isabella but nothing to back it up and trees have edward with william son but dont have more thsn williams birth .. i have lookec at all aspects to ptovide proof of his father and cant think of anything else on where to look

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 02 April 15 19:13 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid I'm running short of ideas. There might be other records that would help, but it's the kind of thing that would likely require a few days solid research in Tyne & Wear Archives, looking at things that aren't online, in the hope of possibly turning something up.

One last shot, which I don't think I've suggested before: how about looking into William and Edward (the possible fathers), and their parents? There's a chance one of them might have left a will naming grandchildren... (Actually, the wills of unmarried siblings can be valuable too, if there are any - as they don't have children of their own, they often help in identifying nephews and nieces.)

Maybe you're going to have to put it all on one side for a while, then when you look at it again you might have a flash of inspiration. On the other hand, it might unfortunately turn out to be a longstanding brickwall - most serious genealogists have at least one, and it's better to be honest about it than to rely solely on guesswork.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 02 April 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
I have spoke to tyne and wear on phone asking for info on the william death 1824  they have no more info and said  if i got a coppie of his burrial it would give no more info than whats on line ... i found his address on line ..i asked about the address where he died to find who else lived there but they  said only people who owned there home or paid over £5 rent would be registerd as in his address   ... re wills of fathers i haven found there deaths at this point .. but i doubt if there will be any as they were ordinary folk . ..i do seem to have tryed every thing and got no where .. i have spoken to tyne and wear on williams children who went into woorkhouse and i didnt get answers .. all i got was they charge £30 hr to research and advise me to look online to see what records they hold and when i speak to newcastle library they tell me to contact t&w ... so all i can do is leave william ..

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: margaret graham,s dad ? UPDATE HELP
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 13:05 BST (UK) »
re elizabeth graham [ hewison ]
i have just got her death cerificate july 1858 and the informant is isabella atkin of halls buildings newcastle ,, i have researched isabella atkins  [ as i thought there must be a connection to elizabeth and william ] and her name was elizabeth hutchinson who married george atkin 7 july 1818 witness to her marriage was HENRY COCKBURN  and william dickson ,then thomas atkin married 3 feb 1833 to isabella smith witness ELIZABETH ATKIN and jane short then david atkin to ann davie witness again ELIZABETH ATKIN  the witness to elizabeth hewison and william graham was also HENRY COCKBURN , and elizabeth and williams daughter margaret graham 1848 married john HUTCHINSON in 1848 how can i make the connection .. there has to be a connection but im looking blind this might solve the answer also to who was WILLIAM GRAHAM1805 father either edward or william please can some one HELP